New Garage/Shed - Concrete or wood ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Slightly off topic so thought the cafe was the best place.

Anyway, im looking to build a shed / garden room at the bottom of our garden. Our garden isnt huge but i expect the structure will be roughly 50 / 60 ft away from the house.

The dimensions would be roughly 18ft wide by 12/14 ft deep (from the back of the garden)

Ideally, id like whatever gets built split into two sections with an internal wall. Section 1 would be smaller (poss 33%) to house things like tools, lawn mower etc,

Section 2, id like insulated with a bit of electric and this is where the bikes would be. Bit of a man den with TV and Turbos for the winter.

Id like both sections to have their own separate doors.

So, my big question. Concrete or timber ?

My dad has a concrete section garage and it suffers terribly from condensation..
Im concerned with the longevity of a wooden structure ?

Any thoughts ?

screenman

Legendary Member
Is brick or block not an option, and build it is big as you can because it will soon shrink.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Is brick or block not an option, and build it is big as you can because it will soon shrink.

Yeh it could be but im limited on cost to be honest as were having a lot of work done on the house over the next 6 months.
I reckon the budget could run to around £8k max! Would brick/block be more expensive, im not sure

screenman

Legendary Member
Yeh it could be but im limited on cost to be honest as were having a lot of work done on the house over the next 6 months.
I reckon the budget could run to around £8k max! Would brick/block be more expensive, im not sure

My 7mtr x 8mtr double skinned garage with pitched roof, double glazed and insulated roller door would cost me about £13,000 I built it 8 years ago for £8500. Mind you the 75 yard driveway hurt the pocket.

sight-pin

Veteran
I'd use 8" Celcon Blocks with Engineering brick and damp course on top of the the necessary foundation.
Or buy a something along the lines of a log cabin if you need it to be that big.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How easy is it for you to get planning permission where you are? That will dictate whether it's a 'permanent' structure or not.

I'd suggest a log cabin, and there's lots of different designs, if it's not that easy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You could build a cracking brick garage man cave with 8k..
plenty of money left over..
if your a DIY fan and able to do footings and maybe the block work ? Even better

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Thanks for all the replies so far.

The house is a 1930s semi in Birmingham, we've already had a single story rear extension and are juat about to have a loft conversion so im not sure what the planners would say / do if i wanted to build something more permanent.

£8k would need to include a base as well as its just grass there at the minute and unfortunately im no good at DIY so would need to pay to get it done properly :sad:
(ive learnt from mistakes where ive tried to do things and then ended up paying someone else to put right)

So, a good quality wooden structure thats looked after and maintained could last 25/30 years?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
In the last year I have built a 'shed' measuring 16ft x 12ft. It is double skinned construction with expanded foam filler between the OSB inner and T&G external timber. £1100 in wood materials, nails/screws/bolts, plus half decent ironmongery for the door itself. I have also fitted electrics (not included in the price). It took around a week to build (excluding electrics).

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
In the last year I have built a 'shed' measuring 16ft x 12ft. It is double skinned construction with expanded foam filler between the OSB inner and T&G external timber. £1100 in wood materials, nails/screws/bolts, plus half decent ironmongery for the door itself. I have also fitted electrics (not included in the price). It took around a week to build (excluding electrics).

Is that something you built yourself or paid someone to do it ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Log cabin type rather than shed shiplap or overlap construction. Also big ground anchors for the bikes. Pay attention to door and window security.

My bikes are in a brick garage with beefed up security. We also have a summer house but we don't keep anything of value in it and it's not locked as smashing the doors or perspex windows would be a royal pain. However it is insulated and ply lined.

Top Bottom