New Road bike £2000 - £2500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golty

Regular
Hi everyone,

Fairly new to cycling but loving it and racking up a lot of miles. Looking at some new road bikes but there is so much choice its hard to choose. My most important priority is bike fit but I also want the bike to be decent as well. Had a look at a couple of bikes so far one been the BMC Granfondo GF01 2016 and the Giant Propel range. When I had a test ride on the BMC I almost bought it right there couldn't believe how comfortable and smooth it was but I held off so I could try others.

I like going on random solo / club rides 30-100 miles but I will be looking to start racing / TT next season. Going to be on the turbo a lot during the winter to prepare.

So the bikes I'm interested in so far are:
  • BMC GF01 2016
  • Giant Propel Advanced 0
  • Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1
Is there anything else I should have a look at or should I just get one of these?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
GF01 is an endurance bike, Propel an aero bike, so not quite the same category...what do you want to do with the bike you buy?

Drago

Legendary Member
Wise man thinking and riding them. Too many people buy based on a spec list, and while they claim to enjoy their new machine they will never know if they'd have enjoyed something else even more.

Good luck.

midlife

Guru
I'm a child of the 70's and tinker with steel frames but our lbs in Penrith seems to swap brands with the weather but the Scott Foil's they have in the window with the new fangled Di stuff does seem to look very well screwed together.

I'll get back to my pipe and slippers!

Shaun

OP
OP
golty

golty

Regular
GF01 is an endurance bike, Propel an aero bike, so not quite the same category...what do you want to do with the bike you buy?
Wise man thinking and riding them. Too many people buy based on a spec list, and while they claim to enjoy their new machine they will never know if they'd have enjoyed something else even more.

Good luck.
Ye I just want the bike to fit me proper, I am interested in an aero bike since I want to race in the future, will an aero bike be massively uncomfortable on say rides over 100 miles?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ye I just want the bike to fit me proper, I am interested in an aero bike since I want to race in the future, will an aero bike be massively uncomfortable on say rides over 100 miles?
There are certainly comfortable aero bikes, but some are more comfortable than others (Trek Madone 9- well, well out of your budget- for example). Being comfortable on it- both in fit and in terms of not being beaten up- is, as you've rightly said, far more important.

It depends how 'aero' it is. If it's full on TT, then over 100 miles wouldn't be pleasant, the majority of the new breed of aero bikes, will be comfortable enough for 100 milers.

simon.r

Person
With that budget you could consider 2 bikes.

A relatively cheap, comfort orientated bike, for, say, £750 would leave enough to get a very good race bike.

AlexRoy

I was in similar position recently, just with a slightly higher budget. I went for the Propel SL 2.

Given that you're looking at TTing, I would lean towards an Aero bike. The BMC GF is completely unsuitable for what you need so throw that idea out of the window.

Out of the Propel range, I don't understand why you've suggested the Advanced 0 or Pro 1, missing out the Pro 2? Given your budget, the Pro 2 is the pick of the bunch I'd say. A better bike than the Advanced 0 for not much extra cost, and way cheaper than the Pro 1.

Alternatively, I'd look at the Fuji Transonic range, really decent Aero bikes at reasonable cost.

This is assuming you want one bike. I think if I was you I'd get a cheap TT bike and a Cannondale CAAD for racing and weekenders (racey geometry and won't snap if you crash it racing, unlike the carbon Propel, which would be more susceptible to breakage and more expensive to replace)

OP
OP
golty

golty

Regular
I was in similar position recently, just with a slightly higher budget. I went for the Propel SL 2.

Given that you're looking at TTing, I would lean towards an Aero bike. The BMC GF is completely unsuitable for what you need so throw that idea out of the window.

Out of the Propel range, I don't understand why you've suggested the Advanced 0 or Pro 1, missing out the Pro 2? Given your budget, the Pro 2 is the pick of the bunch I'd say. A better bike than the Advanced 0 for not much extra cost, and way cheaper than the Pro 1.

Alternatively, I'd look at the Fuji Transonic range, really decent Aero bikes at reasonable cost.

This is assuming you want one bike. I think if I was you I'd get a cheap TT bike and a Cannondale CAAD for racing and weekenders (racey geometry and won't snap if you crash it racing, unlike the carbon Propel, which would be more susceptible to breakage and more expensive to replace)

Ye thanks, I'm going to Manchester on tuesday and theres a few Evan's shops there so I can take a look at the Fuji. Another bike I want to look at is the BMC Teammachine which seems like a good racing bike and gets solid reviews.

Just a thought. Are you the sort to buy a bike and keep? Buy and replace when you outgrow/get bored of it? Or buy and want to regularly upgrade/fettle? That should have an influence on the make-up of your purchase. Relative quality of frame to other components etc.

Citius

If you're planning on racing, then bear in mind that disk-braked bikes are currently not permitted in BC events..

huwsparky

Über Member
If you're planning on racing, then bear in mind that disk-braked bikes are currently not permitted in BC events..
What are the rules if the bike weighs less than 6.8kg's?

Or rather, are they likely to worry about it on a cat 4 Crit or similar?

Last edited:
Top Bottom