New starter to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chaz32

Regular
Hi I am new here I have just started cycling. Main reasons for cycling is to try and tackle my depression after every cycle ride I feel better about myself. I started 7 days ago buying a £30 Raleigh quicksand dual suspension mountain bike off gumtree. I have managed to do 8 miles per day for the last 4 days on it including a very steep long hill. I must admit I am really enjoying it, But I also admit I dread the steep hill it is like torture to me going up it even in first gear lol. But I feel a sense of achievement after I have climbed it the highlight of my day is going for my bike ride. I have joined here to chat with other cyclists and to gain experience. The bike I have is not amazing but does the job for me at the moment I will be looking to upgrade the bike or change to a better bike in the future. I only cycle on roads currently and the tarmac is in good condition where I live in a rural part of the country.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum :welcome:. Just having fun is the main thing about cycling. In fact thats all you should think about at the moment. Just have fun, and don't overdo it. There is plenty of time for upgrading and or buying a completly different bike in the future. and there are plenty of people here who are willing to help and answer any questions you may have.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Chaz32

I'm glad you're enjoying the cycling. It''s a great mood lifter and is summed up brilliantly in one of my favourite cycling quotes:
James E. Starrs said:
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.

A cheap full suspension bike is never going to be great to ride (from personal experience) so I'd suggest going with an alternative rather than trying to upgrade it. There are plenty of helpful people on here willing to answer questions if you need advice.

Have fun and keep us posted with progress.:okay:

Good work;if you are only riding on roads and still have knobbly(mtb) tyres on it might be an idea to change them for some slicker tyres like Schwalbe city jets if you can as it will help roll a bit better on tarmac.

The thing is just getting out is the best thing at the moment,if you feel you are going to stick at it and get a road bike say it would be a good idea to check out any social club rides near you as the encouragement of others will help spur you on.

Also a nice commute home is a good way to wash away any work pains aand even riding in can make even the greyest,miserable Monday morning bearable.

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Thanks for all the helpful positive comments. Weather was bad today so I did not do my full 8 mile ride did a 2 mile full effort ride instead but was not the same and have missed the longer ride it to be honest. I need to invest in waterproof clothing. I may change my bike tyres for some slicks but I worry about the grip on wet roads. I am very tempted to invest in a hybrid bike but In some ways I like the fitness benefits of having a heavy dual suspension bike the front suspension does not work. I would however be very grateful for links for good starter hybrid bikes. The internet is full of so many different bikes I would be very grateful for advice on what to go for. I am 5 foot 10 and weigh around 13 stone.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to cc.
Slick tyres on tarmac have more grip than knob lies as more rubber is in contact with the road,its been calculated you need to be doing about 80 mph to aquaplane so don't worry about it.
As far as bikes go for road and cycle path use you don't need any suspension as the weight just makes it harder,if you do not want a "racing" bike with drop bars a hybrid or flat bar bike with 700c wheels would be a good choice.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for all the helpful positive comments. Weather was bad today so I did not do my full 8 mile ride did a 2 mile full effort ride instead but was not the same and have missed the longer ride it to be honest. I need to invest in waterproof clothing. I may change my bike tyres for some slicks but I worry about the grip on wet roads. I am very tempted to invest in a hybrid bike but In some ways I like the fitness benefits of having a heavy dual suspension bike the front suspension does not work. I would however be very grateful for links for good starter hybrid bikes. The internet is full of so many different bikes I would be very grateful for advice on what to go for. I am 5 foot 10 and weigh around 13 stone.
Don't confuse tread depth with grip. I found the hard way that a knobbly tyre has less grip than something more road oriented on wet paved surfaces.:B) A touring tyre would be a good option - smooth and fast rolling on tarmac but with a tread pattern that'll still cope with a bit of light off-road use if you want it.**

There are two ways of looking at the benefits of a heavy slow bike. Yes, it helps in that you have to work harder and build strength, however an easier riding bike would help encourage you to ride more and to go further afield as you get into it.
When my old full-sus runabout wore out I took my time picking a replacement without the energy-sapping suspension and quite quickly fitted touring tyres to make it easier to ride. This new bike is still a bit slow and heavy compared to most but I've been able to take it on some quite epic adventures that wouldn't have been possible or enjoyable using the old bouncer.:hyper:

If looking at new, one that frequently gets recommended is the Carrera Subway from Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2015 Folk on here who have them reckon they are durable and decent to ride plus they are almost permanently "on sale" so can be got for as low as £200 if you keep an eye out. £250 seems to be the more usual price though.

Hope this is of use.

**Edit to add: In the wet any tyre will struggle on certain surfaces. Beware of painted road markings and any ironwork you ride over.

Last edited:
Hi there. Glad to hear that you're getting out (even in the rain!). I find that a semi-decent waterproof jacket is all I need in the rain. The worst thing for me is wind (not on my part I might add!). Rather it be peeing it down rather than windy. Have fun and keep smiling (even when it's raining!)

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Thanks for all the advice and help. Latest update today I managed a 8 mile ride and really enjoyed decided to go to the carrera subway someone kindly sent a link. Found a used one on ebay will be collecting it Monday. The Main reason for going for a new bike is when I get to the top of the steep hill I have to cycle up I am out of breath and my legs are hurting and the rear suspension just keeps bouncing on the Raleigh bike I have. I would imagine that is using some of my hard work and energy. Bike I am buying has off road tyres but thinking I will do my usual ride 2 times to get used to it then get some semi slick tyres. Also need to get some lights I like to cycle from 7.30 to 9pm and is getting dark around that time. The raleigh came with a rear cateye light but that does not work or may need new batteries may buy a new set of lights. What is best lights to go for?. I don`t want dynamo because the slow speed I am cycling up that devil hill the light will not show up lol. Thanks again for all the helpful messages

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
If the new bike is alot easier I will aim to do 12 miles per day to get more fitness benefits. I have changed diet drastically to help get fit and feel better. Would also like to loose a bit of weight. I don`t look overweight but I feel I am and when I seen my doctor about depression the main thing he said was excersise releasing endorphins into my body to make me feel better. I used to cycle alot in my teens then when I got car kind of lost interest in it but now I much prefer cycling to driving my car lol. Really look forward to going out on bike. :smile:

Top Bottom