New starter to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aunty Tyke

Another quick update changed the rear sprockets and now bike is not slipping at all in any gears managed to do my 8 mile ride twice today :smile: Bike is much easier than mountain bike would never have been able to do that ride twice on the mtb. Normally I just cycle at a recreational pace but 2nd ride today I pushed myself and managed to beat all my records on stravia. Other than the downhill one bike feels faster than the mtb and I need to brake down hills. In my teens I would never brake down a hill ever lol. God how age changes things. lol
:laugh: Me too!

FostersDave

I find having a earpiece helps as well listening to music and riding lifts the mood especially on steep hills ;-)

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Really want to listen to music now but a bit worried about safety implications was thinking of trying to get a single ear piece headphone that is wireless. any links would be grateful. Another update I used my old mountain bike 2 times this week And loved the comfy riding position but the speed was so slow compared to the carrera Managed to do a 8 mile ride in afternoon on mtb then 8 mile on carrera in evening the difference between the bikes is like night and day. I would like the handlebars to be higher and comfier handle grips. I have been using strava app and am pleased with progress. I am aiming by the end of next week to do a 23 mile round trip in one ride. Nothing special but a trip to a local town do some shopping instead of using the car. I have ordered a rucksack to carry shopping in.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
:welcome:

My only advice would be to enjoy the experience of riding the bike when you are in the saddle. Forget about putting in huge numbers of miles at high speed when you are starting cycling. You will just end up in pain, and disheartened. Enjoy it for what it is, a great opportunity to get about under your own steam and look about and see sights that you wouldn't on foot, in a car, or on public transport. When you enjoy that, you will do it more and it won't be a chore or a duty, just something that you want to do. Then you might get fitter or faster if that is what you want, but the important thing is that you will be having a lot of fun.

Good luck.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really want to listen to music now but a bit worried about safety implications was thinking of trying to get a single ear piece headphone that is wireless. any links would be grateful. Another update I used my old mountain bike 2 times this week And loved the comfy riding position but the speed was so slow compared to the carrera Managed to do a 8 mile ride in afternoon on mtb then 8 mile on carrera in evening the difference between the bikes is like night and day. I would like the handlebars to be higher and comfier handle grips. I have been using strava app and am pleased with progress. I am aiming by the end of next week to do a 23 mile round trip in one ride. Nothing special but a trip to a local town do some shopping instead of using the car. I have ordered a rucksack to carry shopping in.
Have you tried a pair of cycling gloves/mitts with padded/gel inserts, much better for comfort than bulky bar-tape.

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Thanks for the advice Will try and find some gloves. I am a bit lost at good sites for bike stuff at the moment so many choices just wanna buy something that is comfy and will last well.

Hi I am new here I have just started cycling. Main reasons for cycling is to try and tackle my depression after every cycle ride I feel better about myself. I started 7 days ago buying a £30 Raleigh quicksand dual suspension mountain bike off gumtree. I have managed to do 8 miles per day for the last 4 days on it including a very steep long hill. I must admit I am really enjoying it, But I also admit I dread the steep hill it is like torture to me going up it even in first gear lol. But I feel a sense of achievement after I have climbed it the highlight of my day is going for my bike ride. I have joined here to chat with other cyclists and to gain experience. The bike I have is not amazing but does the job for me at the moment I will be looking to upgrade the bike or change to a better bike in the future. I only cycle on roads currently and the tarmac is in good condition where I live in a rural part of the country.
Welcome fellow mountain bike rider..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have you tried measuring the old bike and seeing where your new bike differs .
Both my road bikes have the same..
saddle height from bottom bracket and the same crank length
saddle to bar measurement
saddle to bar height difference
saddle setback from botttom bracket.

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
I have measured bike and saddle height from bottom bracket is the same. In fact the only difference is the height of the handle bars. But My body seems to have adapted to the new bike and am now feeling comfortable on it. . Really enjoying cycling at the moment is still the highlight of my day. I have covered 62 miles this week. And the huge hill I go up seems to be getting a bit easier I am not anywhere near as out of breath as I was when I first started. It still hurts my legs but feeling fitter. I normally do one ride at 8pm that lasts 50 minutes and is 8.6 miles in length some days I do that ride twice once at lunch time then usual time. Tonight I noticed it was darker than ever nights pulling in at alarming rate. My front light does not cut it so will invest in a better one. I have not managed to do the planned 22 mile round trip yet. I am still very nervous of cycling on main roads. I have practiced turning my head around while cycling and feel more confident with it but still not 100%. I have changed my diet alot eat much more fruit and am eating weight watchers ready meals and not much else. Some days I feel much better and is helping with my depression issues well. I like the feeling of cycling. Making my own progress and using the gears effectively to make the most of my low powered engine lol. I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful and positive comments on this thread.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
If I take the car to work I get home stressed and grumpy, if I take the bike I get home with a smile on my face and knackered enough to sleep like a baby! Got to be the way ahead :welcome:

RCITGuy

Cant beat that feeling of achievement when you smash a personal best.. Doesn't matter if its a 1 mile ride, a short hill climb or an all day sportive :-)

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Thanks for replies people. I have been cycling around 50 miles a week over the last few weeks. Enjoyed it I no longer use the carrera I have that up for sale I use my old mountain bike Just prefer it feel safer and like the suspension. The gears also change much better even though they are the standard shimano sis bike rides much better than the carrera. The mountain bike is very hard work up hills and slow on flats I am looking for a quality brand bike currently a trek or a Kona or a good specification Giant. Carrera has annoyed me so much and just have a bad feeling about it. Can`t explain but from day one it has given me alot of grief and caused me stress with all the problems. But The main thing Is I kept up my cycling and got back on mountain bike for last 2 weeks and have loved it :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im glad your enjoying your cycling but just wanted to say that cycling isnt all about flogging yourself to death. I like to go as far as I can by expending the least amount of energy.

OP
OP
Chaz32

Chaz32

Regular
Yeah Good point Just bought a new bike today a gt alu frame with really good front suspension needs a bit of work but is a good project. I don`t push myself now I just try and make cycling as easy as possible using low gears and not rushing. I just enjoy being out and feeling fresh air on me and getting exercise at the same time :smile:

Top Bottom