New to Cycling advice appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

openroad

Hi there after all that great advice enjoy getting out there and before you know it you'll be do miles you'd never thought you could do :bicycle:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hi,

but it's HARD! My thighs are on FIRE! I

Keep cycling and keep pushing it (faster, longer, bigger hills) and you'll find your thighs are hard, and you'll be on fire!

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi DiddlyDum :thumbsup:

You will feel like a kid again soon! I'm a 50-year old woman but I feel about 9 years old when I'm standing up on the pedals!

NB I cycle 3.5 miles to the station and back, not even every day, and it's made a big difference in my health and energy levels. I don't do long rides but I've got so much fitter and hardly ever have a cold.

OP
OP
D

DiddlyDum

i took all the advice and i raised the seat quite a bit and the ride is so much easier. im already cycling 15 miles and finding it easier everyday. ive noticed a change in my shape too! ive been looking at maps to find different routes to try. i totally love it! gonna have to find a cycling companion now :tongue:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i took all the advice and i raised the seat quite a bit and the ride is so much easier. im already cycling 15 miles and finding it easier everyday. ive noticed a change in my shape too! ive been looking at maps to find different routes to try. i totally love it! gonna have to find a cycling companion now :tongue:

fantastic - I think your original post not two weeks ago mentioned a 2 mile daily target - now 15miles and counting - well done

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
:welcome:Eat porridge for breakfast. Seriously, it completely changed my riding experience for the better.
Also, to begin with, ride often. You don't have to work yourself to death with huge epics, just steadily get in some miles. Just do it for the enjoyment. When it's fun, you will do it more and more, and more......

Globalti

Legendary Member
The advice to lock your leg and put a heel on the pedal is wrong.

Your leg should be hanging loosely in what is called the "naturally cocked" position, i.e. with a relaxed bend at the knee. Sitting on the saddle your heel should just contact the pedal at the bottom of its stroke. As others have written, if you can put your feet flat on the ground while seated your saddle is much too low and you will injure your knees quite soon. Would you walk around with your knees bent? No.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
:welcome: from the other side of the country, jings, crivvens and help ma Boab:hello:

Some cracking roads in your area, get out and enjoy them:bicycle:
now you are sorted...Law Hill to build yer legs up.

david k

Hi
Hi,

So i got a bike, my first bike since i was a kid. It's in such great condition and was obviously loved by the previous owner. I try and keep myself fit, I stay in Dundee and you can't get away from the hills here so I've been using them to get fitter and to lose a bit of weight. I want to use my bike to do this instead. Ive been out on it a couple of times. I've kept myself at a steady pace on more flat roads but it's HARD! My thighs are on FIRE! I plan to cycle at least 2 miles a day, allowing myself to stop when i need to.

How long will it take for my body to get used to riding? What can i do to help with the pain in my legs? Is there any kinds of foods that can help? I really look forward to finding out more about cycling. I am so ready to get into it this year! Thank you for reading. I'd appreciate any answers to my questions.. :smile:

try ridin in a lower gear than feels natural, your legs should spin quicker than they would when walking, thats to say the temp is quicker and the gears are there to make them spin easier, dont worry about speed.

remember spin dont 'stomp'

sazzaa

Hi from an hour north of you! You have some amazing local routes, the wee Bike Scotland books are quite good if you run out of ideas.

Top Bottom