New To Cycling Doing Ride London 100 In August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

Although I say I'm new to cycling I've been spinning for a few years and when I was younger I lived on my bike. But I recenetly entered the Ride London 100 race in August so it's defintiely taken it all on to another level for me.

I currently own a Specialized Rockhopper 27sp hardtail, as currently this is a one off event for me and the fact that my main hobby drains most of my cash I'm planning on doing the event on this bike and hopefully just doing a few mods to help make the ride a bit easier. I'm not interested in breaking any records, there's a 9hr time limit and there's every chance I'll be using most of that!!

Could anyone let me know which sub category on this forum to post in regarding getting advice on what mods to do and how to go about them? Thinking along the lines of chainset, tyres and potentially adding some (correct if I'm using the wrong term!!) aero bars.

Many thanks

Lee

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Hi!!!!

Is that 100 KMs or Miles?

I'd just add slick tyres and crack on with it as is. I did my first few longer rides on my MTB with slicks without an issue. Granted you won't keep up with the roadies but that's not what its all about anyway so no bother there!

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
100 miles :-/ Really looking forward to it though. I'm currently more of a runner, albeit more of a plodder, and I've wanted to do the Scotland Coast to Coast for a few years but wanted to do a decent length cycling event first and maybe a few duathlons to see how I get on.

It feels strange changing to such a long event as with the running I've got a very good idea of the required training, fuelling etc but I've got no idea where to start with this. I did a 45 mile charity ride last summer which went well other than me not fuelling and literally running on zero energy for the last 10 miles or so. I know it was a fuel issue as I've had that in running, literally flying along then within minutes your body's just saying "I don't think so mate!!" :-)

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Yup I'm still getting used to the fuelling side of things! Running out of steam on the bike is known as 'bonking' lol - I keep leaving it too long before taking on food during a ride and then needing about 15/20mins to pick up the pace again.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Lee & :welcome:. I suspect the "know how" section is where you'll get the answers you are after.

For what it's worth I'd be looking at changing the tyres to slicks (Schwalbe CityJet are popular and inexpensive) and possibly changing the chainset to something like a 28-38-48 or 26-36-48 tooth set to give higher gearing for the fast bits. (A new chain will be required if you do this as the existing one will be a bit short).

avsd

Guru
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the event. Spin classes are hard work so your general fitness should be fine. Time in the saddle will be the main thing. Build up the mileage gradually. An extra 10%-15% each week.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Thanks for the input guys, just an update I thought sod it in the end and ordered a new bike :-) Got a Specialized Allez Elite ordered through my local shop whihc I'll be getting Saturday, let the pedalling commence!!

musa

Über Member
Thanks for the input guys, just an update I thought sod it in the end and ordered a new bike :-) Got a Specialized Allez Elite ordered through my local shop whihc I'll be getting Saturday, let the pedalling commence!!
You did the right thing. Now don't stop.

Top Bottom