New treader on the way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks,
Another newbie here, from mountainous Cambridgeshire !

I have owned an old MTB for a number of years, and with my old bones and dodgy knees it was time for a change, get rid of the MTB that weighs nearly as much as Jupiter and get something that my withered limbs can manage !

So I have bought a Cannondale CAAD 8, I am not going to be entering the Tour De France, I will not be wearing lycra and I definitely will not be riding in the rain. It has been bought for fun, rattling to town/pub and a sensible way to keep fit and get a bit of lard off !

I'm a fair bit new to all this, so please bear with me. My only other bike that I have owned was used for a paper-round when my voice was higher !

Brandane

Legendary Member
Welcome to CC, Biff.

I will not be wearing lycra and I definitely will not be riding in the rain.

^^^^ This is what a lot of people say when they start. I am happy to say that after 50 years of cycling, I still don't wear lycra, and do my best to avoid the rain (last nights drenching was unavoidable and confirmed my opinion of wet weather cycling :cursing:); helmets can go and do one, too :okay:.

h1udd

I kind of like the rain .... When it's really heavy and not even glasses work as the water whips round the indside at speed thanks to high vs low pressure .... And the way your shoes fill up with water thanks to the wicking ability of socks sucking the water off your legs .... Then there is the increase in effort, thanks to the cold you can really push yourself on climbs with water cooled skin

Infact the only thing I don't like is the squeal of my disk brakes it's embarrassingly loud

But I do like the rain ... For an hour anyway, longer would suck ... There is just something extreme about getting soaked that appeals

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
So I have bought a Cannondale CAAD 8, I am not going to be entering the Tour De France, I will not be wearing lycra and I definitely will not be riding in the rain. It has been bought for fun, rattling to town/pub and a sensible way to keep fit and get a bit of lard off !

:welcome:

Oh, and I started out wearing baggy shorts over the lycra. Once most of the weight I needed to lose was off ... hey presto and :eek:

Top Bottom