New Year's day 50 miler. Manchester to Holmfirth and back via Holme Moss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No way I can get out for the full day .....

But I'd quite like to meet up at Holmfirth, loop round to Glossop then make my way back to Holmfirth via the Isle of Sky.
Nice climbs, and it minimises the amount of time spent on the wrong side of the Pennines :smile:

You'll be welcome of course but won't this mean you will be riding back over the Isle of Sky alone in the dark?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
And?

I have lights, and the added impetus of heading back into the promised land from the depths of Mordor :smile:

sdr gb

Falling apart
Apologies Mr Skol, but I'm not going to be able to make it.

The knee Dr is fairly certain I've torn my lateral meniscus cartilage. Got to have an MRI scan to confirm the diagnosis and if I have, then it is usually repaired by surgery.:sad: Looks like I won't be out on the bike until well into next year.:cry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It turns out that I will be somewhere near The Fleece Inn, Holme on NYD so I might pop down to the A6024 to shout out a HNY as you pass. (Assuming that we are not in the middle of a family meal at the time!)

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It turns out that I will be somewhere near The Fleece Inn, Holme on NYD so I might pop down to the A6024 to shout out a HNY as you pass. (Assuming that we are not in the middle of a family meal at the time!)

If I can remember I will text you as we leave Compo's (I think I have your number somewhere). I believe the wireless radio signal coverage has come a long way in that area in recent times?

Skol can you pm me your phone number for the day, depending on the weather I think I will try and meet you at Greenfield then do Holme Moss (possibly) both ways and ride back via Huddersfield to give me my 100k :smile:

You will be 14 mile in at Greenfield so say 11 - 11.15?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've just realised this will be a 106 miles day for me. Good start to the year, I'll be on my mtb with slicks but I managed a faster average mph on the last forum ride so should be ok.

I'll be riding into Manchester (23 miles), can we meet in a cafe or some other warm place....just in case I get there early (I was an hour too early last time..oops.).

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've just realised this will be a 106 miles day for me. Good start to the year, I'll be on my mtb with slicks but I managed a faster average mph on the last forum ride so should be ok.

I'll be riding into Manchester (23 miles), can we meet in a cafe or some other warm place....just in case I get there early (I was an hour too early last time..oops.).

10am on new years day! I don't know where will be open and I have no intention of being early, probably just 10 minutes before the departure time. Central Manchester is teeming with Starbucks and Costas so they might be your best bet for a warm refuge.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I will see how i'm fixed for this one.....still having sleepless nights from last years New Year run :cry: Broken the Hybrid,Fixie out of the question so i could be on the MTB like last year if i come along !

400bhp

Guru
Hmmm-not sure I can do all day lads, although I find NYD boring so would much rather be out and about.

I might meet you up for part of it. Will see what other peeps are doing that day.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's getting closer so I thought I would do a participant list.

Me (I Like Skol)
bromptonfb
Potsy (may chicken (or turkey?) out)
Martin Archer
oilyormo
dan_bo
DCLane (part of the way)
Stu Smith
Markymark
Kestevan (part of the way, with DCLane?)
ColinJ (guest appearance)
oldfatfool (part of the way)
skudupnorth (if the therapy works)
400BHP (if he can get his pass-out signed :laugh:)

There's a couple of uncertains in the list but even if only half turn up it will be double last years ride. Just to remove any doubt, meeting at 9-45-9.50 ready for a 10am departure from outside the front of Selfridges and the Corn Exchange (where the big wheel used to be).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi, long time lurker on the forum. Mind if I join you? I live in Glossop. I would probably plan to cycle over to somewhere like Mossley and wait there. Bail out when you get to Glossop or maybe Mottram and then double back through Broadbottom.

Top Bottom