New Year's day 50 miler. Manchester to Holmfirth and back via Holme Moss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
SWMBO has complained about me doing this. If I'm at Sid's Cafe in Holmfirth, then it's all fine, if not - have a good day....
Mine has also complained but c'est la vie.

If you are at Sid's Cafe then we won't see you at all because we are going to Compo's chippy for dinner and avoiding the town centre completely (unless there is a large popular demand to cruise past the iconic cafe frontage?).

Weather forecast promises a dry day at the moment but that could well change between here and there?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, a refresher for all participants so we avoid any confusion.

We are meeting in Manchester at Exchange Square, facing the Corn Exchange. Meet at 9.50 for a 10am departure.

THIS is the planned route. We will arrive at Compo's fish & chip restaurant at about 12-midday for a sit down meal (Compo's, 9 Burnlee Road, off Greenfield Road, Holmfirth. HD9 2LA). After lunch we then head over Holme Moss (Bl**dy BIG hill!) and drop into Glossop for coffee and a cake at Costa Coffee before the final leg returning to Echange Square in the centre of Manchester.

Ride distance is 50 miles give or take and as I type the weather forecast is for a dry day with temps of around 5-6 degrees C and 10-15mph winds from the West which should blow us from Manchester towards Holmfirth :thumbsup:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Just an idea, instead of flying straight over the Isle of Skye and dropping into Holmfirth, You could go right just before the Huntsman PH, drop down to Digley reservour and Holmbridge, Its down hill and no further, just a little detour and a more scenic pleasant way IMO

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just an idea, instead of flying straight over the Isle of Skye and dropping into Holmfirth, You could go right just before the Huntsman PH, drop down to Digley reservour and Holmbridge, Its down hill and no further, just a little detour and a more scenic pleasant way IMO
I know the road across by the reservoir but it doesn't quite fit with stopping at Compo's on this trip.

Still hoping to meet you guys where the A669 meets A635 around 11. Weather disclaimer applies though it as been absolutely sh i te around these parts the last few days:sad:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Also still ok for tomorrow, Royal George, weather permitting. Seems ok-ish forecast at the moment. I'll text you if I am bailing out due to bad weather so you're not hanging around wondering where I am

compo

Veteran
Mine has also complained but c'est la vie.

If you are at Sid's Cafe then we won't see you at all because we are going to Compo's chippy for dinner and avoiding the town centre completely (unless there is a large popular demand to cruise past the iconic cafe frontage?).

Weather forecast promises a dry day at the moment but that could well change between here and there?

Impeccable taste.

Have a good ride all wherever you go.

sdr gb

Falling apart
Have a good ride tomorrow folks.

I'll keep an eye out for you coming through Mossley so I can give you a wave.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Well its looking more like I'll be on it !

If I dont turn up by 10am don't wait around, I won't be coming, so have a good day if I don't see you :-D

Top Bottom