Newbie 2W/3W Bent Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Hello,

I hope no-one minds me jotting some initial thoughts down on my first 2 weeks of recumbent initiation!

A decaying hip joint prompted the idea of getting a bent, especially as riding my DF bikes was getting so uncomfortable. So, after watching many bikes go for silly prices on Ebay, Gumtree of all places flagged a Toxy TT for sale in Scotland. After a few questions, it was essentially a done deal and was mine:

100041000.jpg

Similar to this factory image, mine has over seat steering, lower spec wheels and a rear pannier rack. Thankfully the seller was a similar height and leg to myself so, Ive not experimented with altering riding position yet.

My partner was convinced this was a poor decision and after an initial VERY wobbly ride I could almost see why but, could see the potential and was impressed by the overall quality of the build. No pain in my hip was, I admit a BIG seller for me to continue.

I might not be an engineer but could see a few issues, mudguards catching tyres, chain pulley wheel not rotating with the chain and poor cable routing fouling the steering. An afternoon spent sorting these and squirting some teflon lube down the L O N G chain tubes seemed logical to me.

Time for a decent run. Thankfully, we have a nice seafront boulevard at Seaton Carew that runs to Hartlepool marina so, resisting fish 'n' chips I got stupidly over dressed in cycling gear and set off...

Starts were feeling much better already even if I soon discovered 3rd gear on the smallest front ring and not 1st was easiest for this beginner, otherwise the pedals simply spun around too fast for me to get a second foot up onto the opposing pedal. I really rate the Magura disc brakes already, Ive used their hydraulic calipers in the past on a MTB but these seem better again.

The gears worked well with the SRam gripshifts but the steering felt SO twitchy, I knew most of this was my fault, over compensating on the bars but I cant help feeling the long 'tiller' just isnt for me or, is going to take a lot longer for me to get used to. A lot of side-to-side movement was also my fault from poor pedalling action however, the 30 minute ride was good,without incident apart from a host of odd-stares, looks and finger pointing from the general public.

A check over the bike showed no issues and after leaving the Schwalbe tyres 10psi below rated maximum I decided to try a near full 70psi for the next ride.

HILLS!!!

A naff Chinese Km only bike computer was fitted as was my JVC Adixxion action cam, just to record the fun as I intended a ride down the road and off a side road, down to the beach banks not far from home. I guess my maths had failed me at attempting to get the computer to display mph when downhill it showed 88 mph!!! Never the less, downhill was breathtaking & the fastest I've been on a pedal bike for a LONG time. 30 seconds later I was over looking the sea. Google maps informs me that the elevation change is only 150ft of climbing but, in the space of 0.2 miles, I used to be able to do it on a folding bike up to the middle of last year but I didnt even make it HALF WAY up the hill despite using granny gear (if that phrase is allowed in bent circles - lol).

I admit to being disheartened by this, both in bike and personal fitness terms.

I pushed the bike to the top of the hill and vented my frustration by flying along on the flat to home, managing to save some face, in my own mind if nowhere else.

In addition to the florescent on the back of the carbon fibre seat base to alert motorists, I decided a spare bright LED might be a useful addition and also fitted the CF headset that the previous owner kindly supplied along with underseat bars, spare semi-slick tyres and a high press shock pump for the under seat unit.

The next day a click of extra preload on the budget front suspension and perhaps the slightly rash early fitment of my SPD Shimano pedals completed the prep for my hill climbs. My SPDs are fitted with a plastic free-ride plate on one side of each so I figured were ideal for the task and truth be told, it felt good to get my cycling shoes back on.

Why is there always a down side, LoL. I really cant win from our house, I either have a half mile ride and the a severe climb OR a climb straight from the door of 100 feet vertical over a distance of 0.6 mile. Its tough for me but I knew I wasnt ready for the former so after a few rides and stop/starts to check the Spuds still worked as expected, I set off hill climbing again. Not to be denied, I made it to the top but was panting like I really dont care to recall. The downhill and flat after it were fun but my energy was sapped for the next easier climb but I made that one as well.

I now found it MUCH easier to push my lower back into the seat base and use the SPuds to properly spin, an extra benefit being that the side to side 'yawing' of the ride was much lesser too. After stopping for a breather, I continued on the flat and managed top gear for a mile or so before reaching a nearby village. Downhill almost all the way home, apart from one slight rise that I was able to 'blast' in a pretty big gear - felt good!

Google informed me my 3.6 mile ride went up & down by around 170 feet and should of took 19 mins? I took me 24 but that was with some testing as detailed so, I was quite happy to survive unscathed for my first use of clips.

So, Next? Gotta try the semi-slicks to see if they aid riding as much as I hope. I'm going with the tiny increment improvements here so please bear with me....

Cheers - Frank

Attachments

• 100041000.jpg
    100041000.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 64
  • 100041000.jpg
    100041000.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Welcome.

I was new to bents last November - and in the first couple of weeks I began to think I'd made a mistake and would never be able to get on with it. But, fettling and tinkering eventually got me to the point where I felt comfortable on the bike, and about 500 miles later I began to feel at home on it. I'm now about 1000 miles in and it's my bike of choice - my Defy road bike is feeling very left out.

The whole experience is totally different to a DF (diamond frame) bike. I was advised that it can take 1000 miles to get used to the new position and the different muscle usage. That's about right.

Uphill is not necessarily hard work, you just have to find the right gear and spin your way up - balance uphill at slow speeds takes a while, but when I started I felt very wobbly at 6mph, now I'm happy at 3mph. You must relax your upper body and not pull on the bars - takes practice!

I have neck and arm issues as a result of spinal damage and whilst I am comfortable on a DF bike up to about 80 miles, the bent is very comfortable, and the only limiting factor so far is my leg fitness - but I did 54 miles in the rain on Saturday, so considerable progress has been made.

Mechanically, the stuff that wears out is normal bike (usually MTB) kit, and the cycle parts are unlikely to wear out - so the bent should last for a very long time with good maintenance. Pay attention to the usual things, chain cleanliness, cables etc and you'll not go far wrong. The longer RD cable is a Shimano tandem cable - 3m long - longer than the usual 2.1m length your LBS stocks. Have a couple on your shelf ready.

Here's mine (2006 Performer Amigo) more or less as I bought it - had a bit of fettling since then!

upload_2015-5-6_8-25-59.jpeg

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Great Info Andy, Thanks.

Gotta admit my calves are pretty sore this morning, something I'm not used to.

Thats a really good looking bike you have, I'm envious of your larger rear wheel, large wheel envy, what an awful state! Next chance I get to try to a bike festival or try riding a bent with bigger wheels, I'll jump (and hopefully not fall!) at the chance!

I do like the lower height of your pedals too, wish I'd done more research now but as always, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Cheers - Frank

Great Info Andy, Thanks.

Gotta admit my calves are pretty sore this morning, something I'm not used to.

Thats a really good looking bike you have, I'm envious of your larger rear wheel, large wheel envy, what an awful state! Next chance I get to try to a bike festival or try riding a bent with bigger wheels, I'll jump (and hopefully not fall!) at the chance!

I do like the lower height of your pedals too, wish I'd done more research now but as always, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Cheers - Frank

It's my quads that seem to take the hit - but not as badly as they did. I came across my bent by accident on eBay. It was re-listed at a reduced price but I'd not seen it in the first listing.

I'd been thinking about a bent for months but not really done anything about it, but facing the winter on my local potholed and muddy rural roads I was thinking about a winter bike - my Defy road bike does not like mud - it clogs up the front forks and brakes very easily so becomes a pain when it's wet and muddy. The bent came up and I thought I'd kill 2 birds - as the Defy hurts my hands, wrists and shoulders when it's cold and the roads are bumpy - I thought I would alternate bent and Defy to give my arms a rest.

I'd not heard of Performer but bid and won the auction at a price somewhat less than I was prepared to pay, on the basis that if I really could not get on with it I could sell it again for a similar price and put it down to experience.

I like the geometry, and the 26" rear - I suspect that it's more forgiving over the rough roads than a 20/20. The seat height is 50cm, so a mid level bike - not sure I'd want anything much lower, and not much higher as swinging my leg over the seat is not easy - my spinal injury affected my balance when standing - so getting on and off needs care.

I fitted new tyres and tubes (Marathon +), chain and cassette, and eventually dumped the twist grips for 2nd hand trigger shifters again off eBay. Changed the cables and the pads for Koolstops, and have taken off the rack. The rack slots over the rear guard - but means that you can't have more guard stays at the front, so with the rack fitted the guard flaps about a bit and rattles. Taking off the rack allowed me to fit additional stays and now the bike is 100% rattle-free, as any bike should be.

I think you were brave to go for USS on a first bent - but you've obviously got the hang of it now. If (when) I change mine I'd go for USS I think, but stay at 20/26 wheels. Probably go to disc as the grinding of grit on rim in the winter always sounds wrong!

Bents are expensive, but the ones I've seen are all well built, the welding quality is very good, they are often powder coated, and my bearings are all sealed cartridge - so quality where it matters. If you have idlers, think about changing to Terracycle (there's an agent in Germany) - these are really good.

The M+ tyres are bomb proof in winter, but about to fit some Marathon Racers as these should be faster - I have a 100k audax lined up shortly so a bit more speed would be good, for a bit less effort. We'll see.

So, enjoy it, and keep up the pedalling! Loads of helpful advice on here too.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: @Falco Frank - and :welcome: to both CC and the Darker side ...:ph34r:

A few points from your post ..
  • many - if not most - people get into 'bents after injury or other physical issue - then wonder why they didn't do it long before ! I always cite my 3 main reasons for riding a 'bent to be Comfort, Comfort and ... go on - have a guess ! ;)
  • starting in the right gear is crucial, IMO and I'm a middle ring, 3rd gear man myself but 2nd if a slight uphill start. As you have discovered, it's about getting enough forward momentum to get and keep balance, while getting the other foot up and powering. Takes a bit of practice but soon becomes instinctive
  • clipping in is essential once you get comfortable with the stop/start routine - feet bounce off the pedals much easier than on a DF :whistle:
  • you really do need to spin on a 'bent; if you "push my lower back into the seat base ..." be careful ! On a DF bike, the most pressure you can exert through your knees is that of your own body weight with a bit more from pulling up on the bars when out of the saddle. If you are 'locked' between the pedals and the seat on the 'bent, you can become unaware of how much pressure you are putting on/through your knees, so spinning is a must
  • discs on a 'bent are great - and you'll probably out-brake and DF bike, as your CoG is so much lower and the forces act more efficiently and safely - harder to get thrown forwards over the bars ! :ohmy:
  • it will probably take you a few months to gain your 'bent legs' and to feel comfortable and relaxed when riding - I found relaxation to be key when learning, as it greatly helped with balance, steering and nervous tension :hyper:
  • personally, I find my hamstrings cramp up more than when DF riding, so I make sure I have a wee stretch if I stop for a breather or snack
  • you cannot be an 'anonymous cyclist' on a 'bent ! :laugh: People will look, point, smile :wahhey:, laugh, comment favourably and be very friendly towards you; cars will give you more room when overtaking :huh: - really, they will ! :thumbsup:
  • your top speed will only be limited by your nerve ... and your bike-handling skills :eek:
Ride Safe and try not to get too many flies in your teeth ! :laugh:

My ride :wub: ...

Dunkeld Stn 2.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
many - if not most - people get into 'bents after injury or other physical issue - then wonder why they didn't do it long before !
It's hard enough parking and loading an unusual DF bike. Aren't two-wheeled 'bents worse for both luggage and parking securely? Or do you just leave it unlocked or with a tiny cable and accept the scratches as fair exchange for the laughs when someone tries to nick it and falls?

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Thanks for the friendly & helpful replies, Ive enjoyed reading them all.

Ive not gone the USS route yet Andy but you have just provided a name for my steed, Enterprise!!! I love it :bravo:

Scoosh, many thanks. My 'bent came from Peebles and has a Glasgow shop sticker on it, looks like you guys are spoilt up there for shops and scenery (but hills as well).

I did forget to mention on my return home a car drew in front of me and the passenger video'd me with his smartphone, good natured so I just gave a friendly wave and off they went...

Cheers

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
How rude, my reply didnt post???

Andy, Toxy only make 20" wheeled bikes apparently and sadly there is only enough space betwixt tyre and shock absorber mount for a mudguard & little else!

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
This weeks update, riding time Zero, working time quite a bit, money spent loads!

But at least it was at Aldi - LoL

The idler was still catching the mounting leg for the rear rack so after shimming it out yet again, it seems better now but not as fluid as I'd hoped. Terracycle might well be getting some dosh from me when SWIMBO isnt looking.

Front wheel out, that uses an Allen headed bolt in the skewer, not seen THAT before. I'm STUNNED at how much friction and how 'notchy' the axle feels on the SON dynamo hub. Was just about to rip it apart and UNusually for me, stepped back a minute and thought better of it. A quick look in the 'tinternet brought the wisdom of DONT TOUCH IT!

WoW, the Marathon Slicks are SKINNY, took the front up to 70psi and it didnt feel any more nervous than treaded tyre but there again, it was a very short run, up & down the street.

Aldi came up trumps again with the purchase of windproof shirt, casual cycling shorts (but only after taking the MTB ones back, zip off leg design was good but for me, not as comfortable as the stretch material of the casual shorts). Some cycling socks and a set of £15 panniers that for the price have to worth a shot. Pssst, pop in to your local Aldi as now they might even be reduced further...

Erm, I did also buy an inflator / compressor unit that I didnt bargin for:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-7-may/product-detail/ps/p/portable-compressor-1/

Ciao

Last edited:
OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
Charity ride today.

Gotta say I'm disappointed. Only managed half of the 30 miles and fell off on a really steep climb (Clay Bank) and clout my elbow big style, it was inevitable, I suppose.

Toxy was working well but the climbs were so much tougher than I remembered them, my lack of fitness I imagine. Got cramps in my calf at one point and had to stop. I tried using an 'ankling style' which did help to get going but the hills were coming by then. Reason for my fall was simple, going slow was working well but I got off line and in correcting too much, my shoe caught the bloody front mudguard, which will be coming off shortly!

Riding down off the hill felt MUCH better & I pushed along at 16/17 mph most of the way to the finish, except that the back end seemed to 'shimmy' at high speed, causing me to loose confidence and brake early for corners.

This is a very steep learning curve, my friends....

Cheers - Frank

Top Bottom