Newbie Checking In...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
New to cycling and have a query: how the hell are you supposed to get both feet in the pedals (type with cage and strap) when the ruddy things are bottom heavy???

BTW: My name is Dave and I live in North Wales. I'm going on 40 and decided to buy a bike for two reasons: firstly fitness - I drink, smoke and partake in arm chair sports only, thus a couple of stones overweight. Secondly, a new job in London where a car for the daily commute of two miles is out of the question!

I bought a Raleigh Airlite 300 and am already thinking of an upgrade! Problem with the 300 is the pedals, (going to Tweeks tomorrow to look for alternatives, probably dual purpose SPDs), and the drop bars - not really suitable for a fast jaunt in London with lots of lights to deal with.

Thinking about using the 300 for rides out in NW and buying a flat bar flyer for the daily commute, possibly an Ridgeback Ultraflight 03...

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome to the CC forum Davestate :hello:
It's usually possible to give a gentle flick downwards with your toe on the trailing edge of the pedal, this will cause it to spin round and get the cage to the top at which point you deftly slip your toe forward into the cage. Try it a few times whilst sitting on the bike and leaning against a wall or fence.
40? phew getting on a bit but there's still hope.;)

Regarding the weight, cycling will definitely help, but only as part of a calorie controlled diet...there's no quick fix.:sad:

Someone else will advise you on best bike for commuting.

Good luck in your new job.:smile:

Top Bottom