newbie from Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Romanov

Regular
Hello all,
Over the last six months I've been bitten by the cycling bug. Me and my mates have created a mini club and each Sunday we find route around the picturesque Sussex country side to ride around. First we started on Mountain bikes and through the ride to work schemes slowly upgraded to road bikes. Our run out is normally 20-30 miles
i personally choose the Specialized Secteur Sport 2010, seems like a great bike but as i ve gotten more confident with the bile, started to question a few of the components.

A couple of weeks ago upgraded the wheels to Mavik Aksium, (What a difference). Now I'm looking to upgrade my brake callipers to Shimano 105's. I appreciate this is somewhat of a false economy as a new bike in the long run will be cheaper but I'm just having fun. if anyone has any advice on what brake callipers would be a good choice please let me know.

Anyway enjoying my new found youth and looking to learning and participating where possible to this forum.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Welcome Romanov. So glad to see some of you escaped from the bolsheviks. We need more members of the Russian royal family in Sussex.;)

It's your money so no one can really tell you how to spend it or what is a 'false economy' but if it were me I'd just put Salmon coloured koolstop pads on my existing brakes (and maybe invest in a 3rd hand tool to they are set up properly) and run them first before swapping the calipers out.

What end of the kingdom of the south saxons are you wheeling in?

rich87

I live just up in Kent and normally find myself on the roads of Sussex, Surrey or Kent on weekend rides, might see you out sometime!

I always understood that it was best to buy a bike with at least a decent frame and then just upgrade the components in time/ as more money becomes available so I'd say you're going the right way about it. Unsprung weight is definitely the first thing to upgrade. I've found that investing in better tyres is initially the cheapest way to go faster.

OP
OP
Romanov

Romanov

Regular
Welcome Romanov. So glad to see some of you escaped from the bolsheviks. We need more members of the Russian royal family in Sussex.;)

It's your money so no one can really tell you how to spend it or what is a 'false economy' but if it were me I'd just put Salmon coloured koolstop pads on my existing brakes (and maybe invest in a 3rd hand tool to they are set up properly) and run them first before swapping the calipers out.

What end of the kingdom of the south saxons are you wheeling in?

Hi Greg, thanks for the advice, I will look into the koolstop pads. Thanks

We generally ride around Uckfield and Mid Sussex, riding up as far as Crowborough and Forest Row.

Top Bottom