Newbie questions: Quick release wheels, disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave_79

Hi, posted a thread in bike recommendations recently, looking at upgrading from a 20 year old Raleigh MTB to a hybrid, spending around £400. Looking for advice on the following as they are issues that I've not had to consider to date:

Quick release wheels: Never had these before and before I even buy the bike I am already paranoid about having the front wheel nicked. I always carry a 'D' shackle lock which goes through the rear wheel and frame to whatever I'm locking it up against, I guess it works as I've never had a bike stolen (that's probably cos it's old and rubbish though!). The thing is I don't want to have to carry an extra lock around with me to secure the front wheel. I know that you can buy aftermarket skewers that lock, but do any bike makers put locking skewers on as standard?

Disc brakes: After never experiencing them, I recently had a ride on a friend's hybrid that had them and was impressed at how responsive they are, but I've also heard they can be a pain and expense to maintain. Are they worth getting or am I better going for V-brakes?

BTW I am looking at a Specialized Sirrus or whichever Trek FX is similar price

Thanks for your help

ryanb162

I don't know much about the skewers but from my experience disc brakes aren't that difficult to maintain, probably easier than V brakes as once they're fitted I haven;t had to adjust anything apart from the cable tightness and how close the brake pad is to the rotor.
The only bit that you might call an "expense" is the brake pads are slightly more expensive depending on the brake system your using.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi, posted a thread in bike recommendations recently, looking at upgrading from a 20 year old Raleigh MTB to a hybrid, spending around £400. Looking for advice on the following as they are issues that I've not had to consider to date:

Quick release wheels: Never had these before and before I even buy the bike I am already paranoid about having the front wheel nicked. I always carry a 'D' shackle lock which goes through the rear wheel and frame to whatever I'm locking it up against, I guess it works as I've never had a bike stolen (that's probably cos it's old and rubbish though!). The thing is I don't want to have to carry an extra lock around with me to secure the front wheel. I know that you can buy aftermarket skewers that lock, but do any bike makers put locking skewers on as standard?

Disc brakes: After never experiencing them, I recently had a ride on a friend's hybrid that had them and was impressed at how responsive they are, but I've also heard they can be a pain and expense to maintain. Are they worth getting or am I better going for V-brakes?

BTW I am looking at a Specialized Sirrus or whichever Trek FX is similar price

Thanks for your help
Remove front wheel and lock it to rear wheel and frame. Simples :idea:

Top Bottom