Next Years Tour de France.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
We would like to go and watch a stage :thumbsup:

The plan would be to drag the caravan down and combine with a weeks holiday.
So, having never done it before, will all the campsites with 20miles of the route be booked months in advance or could we book last minute?
Is the tour route even confirmed yet?

Where should we go? we do fancy a look at the Alps, so we could combine some walking and I could take the MTB but I assume these will be the busiest stages, anyone have any advice?

Is there other entertainment for the family as well as just the race? and if so, is this centred around the start or the finish?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get an idea of when and what plans to make.

mondobongo

Über Member
Its starting in Monaco but everything else is just rumour at the mo. Official unveiling is traditionally the last Thursday in October which will be the 30th this year. Looking like a figure of 8 route to avoid hitting a Mountain stage on stage 4.

wafflycat

I've been to watch Le Tour over in France a few times. Never done a mountain stage though. It's interesting being at a stage where a start & finish are close together, as you get to see everything up close.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
We went camping this year in Britanny to watch the first couple of stages. We camped in Brest to see the presentation etc, we then moved down to near Carnac to watch the end of the first stage at Plumelec. That was quite good as there was a large screen showing all the race.

A procession follows the route before the race, this is called the caravan, this is quite amusing as they throw the sposers goodies inton the crowd.

The next day we wwnt to Auray for the start of the second stage, plenty going on but the riders go past pretty quick!

Would I go again? yes, but I would pick a mountain stage or two as you will see a lot more.

The atmosphere is fantastic and is not to be missed.

papercorn2000

My folks have taken their caravan to see the tour every summer since '86!
It's easy enough to get a place in the Alps within easy riding distance of the stages. In fact, riding in is one of the big parts of the day - it's such a carnival atmosphere. Go for it, it should be great - regardless of the actual racing.

Noodley

mondobongo said:
Its starting in Monaco but everything else is just rumour at the mo. Official unveiling is traditionally the last Thursday in October which will be the 30th this year. Looking like a figure of 8 route to avoid hitting a Mountain stage on stage 4.

I know the what the start/end towns are, but can't access them at work....

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Many thanks all :ohmy: we'll be there then :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm really looking forward to seeing Lance race, if he does indeed go through with it.

For me as a very new cyclist, his were the first cyclist books I read and I do have an amidration for his achievements, despite having read so much "anti-Lance" stuff since.

I'll start planning when the route is officially unveiled :biggrin:

Top Bottom