Nibali joins the greats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennaughKickIt

Interesting how Nibali has already won the TdF. He might fall off yet.
I used to compete professionally, on horses. We hadn't 'won' until the competition was over. Were we horsy types wrong all these years?

I used to compete unprofessionally at beanbag throwing and I'm telling you he's won already.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's because he is not a classics rider. I simply meant he mixes with the classics and is competitive.

2008 - 10th Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2011 - 8th in Milan Sanremo, 8th in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2012 - 3rd Milan Sanremo, 2nd in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.

We all know about his results in GC in the grand tours but the above shows he has many strings to his bow.

One would likely have to go back a fair bit in time to find a rider who has won all 3 grand tours and been so successful in the monuments/classics - that he chooses to ride.
Surely only as far as Mercks if that far.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm now unfortunately waiting for the day, maybe a couple of years down the line, maybe in a few months, when these results are taken from Nibali and the races declared void. But then I'm a cynical b******d

Surely only as far as Mercks if that far.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm now unfortunately waiting for the day, maybe a couple of years down the line, maybe in a few months, when these results are taken from Nibali and the races declared void. But then I'm a cynical b******d
All of his wins declared void? Wow.

Can we agree to disagree? I have had this chat quite a few times now and i think i'm all talked out on the matter. For clarity i am basically of the stance that Nibali has a Palmares which shows consistent and gradual improvement and that he was racing against a weaker opposition than he might have been.

Actually the clever cat might see that Nibali has won grand tours not including Froome or Contador in any of them. Nor Wiggins in his prime.

martint235

Dog on a bike
All of his wins declared void? Wow.

Can we agree to disagree? I have had this chat quite a few times now and i think i'm all talked out on the matter. For clarity i am basically of the stance that Nibali has a Palmares which shows consistent and gradual improvement and that he was racing against a weaker opposition than he might have been.

Actually the clever cat might see that Nibali has won grand tours not including Froome or Contador in any of them. Nor Wiggins in his prime.
Happy to agree to disagree.

It's not just Nibali for me, I'm still not convinced the sport is clean and the cynic in me just feels that the reduction in numbers being caught is just an advancement in doping similar to the development of EPO years ago.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This last stage is ceremonial at best @Saluki, if he crashed today the whole race would stop and wait and his team mates would hold him up until they got to the line..did you do any 21 stage horse races?!! :smile:
No
I rode 3 day event horses and did a couple of 100 mile endurance rides in 24 hours (in Australia). I was quite good at it.
Liggett and Sherwin were saying that Nibali had won the TdF from about last Sunday onwards, which I found mildly irritating as I thought that there were another 5 proper stages, 6 if you count today to go and anything could have happened.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
No
I rode 3 day event horses and did a couple of 100 mile endurance rides in 24 hours (in Australia). I was quite good at it.
Liggett and Sherwin were saying that Nibali had won the TdF from about last Sunday onwards, which I found mildly irritating as I thought that there were another 5 proper stages, 6 if you count today to go and anything could have happened.

Ahh..I didn't have them on Eurosport, although Carlton was annoying enough on there as it was but his rider recognition is better and they at least make the obligatory chateau and historic facts information obvious by handing to someone else to do! I would have found that apparent certainty that early irritating too...:smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So what you're saying is that Liggett and Sherwin are mildly irritating. That's pretty controversial.

Only mildly?

jarlrmai

Veteran
Implicit in that assumption is that he doesn't fall off and break something.

It's like predicting a home team 4-0 up at half-time will win a football match when the opposition have had there 2 best players sent off, yeah something pretty amazing is going to have to happen to stop it.

jarlrmai

Veteran
His greatest attribute as a cyclist is that he he seems bombproof, he obviously has great bike handling skills, mental and physical toughness, he is able to cope with bad weather, bad roads, descend well and climb well and use his team properly a great all rounder and a worthy GT winner.

Top Bottom