England : Hampshire New Date! Night Ride Around The Coast 2015 (August 21)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
New date: AUGUST 21....
Yes, ladies and gents, it's back. Last year, six hardy souls joined me for a ride around the Isle of Wight. That thread is here. This year, I'm hoping a few more peeps will come along. If it's a lot, additional planinng will be required, which is why I've started this thread now. May 15 has been pencilled in as the date, but as a few interested parties might be audaxing on the Sunday, I'm thinking of possibly moving it back a fortnight to the 29th, Now moved to May 29, when I have time off- this also gives the option of an an earlier start if it suits people (on account of working a late shift that's simply not an option for me without taking leave).

Assuming for a moment it's the 15th, Outline is the same as last year. Meet at the Portsmouth car ferry terminal (a short ride from Portsmouth Harbour station) in time for the 2359 sailing- you'll need to be checked in by 2344 at the absolute latest. Anyone going via an alternative route or an earlier sailing will need to be at the Fishbourne terminal to meet us at quarter to one or so. After the safety talk and letting The Traffic get on its way (I kid you not, on both the night recce and the main ride we saw about half a dozen cars between leaving Ryde and the break of dawn, the rest of the ferry vehicles massively outnumbered that), we will head south and then east- in a change to last year, we'll pick up the IOW Randonnee route for a while, thus avoiding the exciting nightlife of Ryde. Round to The Only Shop That Is Open On The Entire Island, Ryde Tesco, for all your retail and rest stop needs. Then on clockwise to Bembridge, Sandown, and Shanklin. If we're very lucky, the useless quango that is Wight Roads will have sorted Undercliffe Drive (landslip took it off the route menu last year).

There is a further rest stop opportunity at Bonchurch (community toilets, which were open last year) before our half-way stop. Now, last year, this was alfresco at the Blackgang picnic site. Excellent view, plenty of bushes, but obviously not ideal for a big mixed group. And the problem is anything that opens will be opening especially for us. There are plenty of church halls, cafes and so on in Ventnor and assorted villages, but they're not going to be interested if it's not worth their while. And I'm sure some people might be more interested if there was a more civilised half-way. I did try dropping the local CTC group (the Wayfarers, who organise the Randonnee) a line last year, but they never responded. Hence starting the thread now- with enough riders it would be worth looking into the options. Ideas on refreshment opportunities welcome.

After that, the coastal road all the way to Freshwater- even if I say so myself, an absolutely glorious stretch, and then to the Needles and Alum Bay. View from the Needles is absolutely glorious, and you don't get it on the Randonnee. Then back north Yarmouth and on to Ryde, probably via Cowes and the chain ferry to East Cowes (the alternative via Newport is rather more prosaic and much busier). Breakfast in Ryde (Wetherspoons were very helpful and did an excellent job last year, many other options available). Return to the mainland either from Ryde (catamaran to Portsmouth Harbour station- ideal for trains but you'll need to buy two singles, and cat tickets are more expensive as well) or four miles back west to Fishbourne (others may prefer to leave us at Yarmouth or East Cowes if it suits better).

As Olaf's Brighton ride, this is not an 'official' FNRttC, but it will be run firmly in that vein- with waymarkers, TECs, gentle pace and no-one left behind, and full & affilliate CTC or BC members for insurance purposes. Please be aware that this is considerably lumpier than any of the usual FNR routes, something in the region of 4,500 to 5,000ft of climbing. In comparison, London to Brighton, and then back to Pompey, is less than 3500ft, in 50% more miles. This is not a ride for those who are hill-phobic. There are flat sections of road, some visible without the aid of an electron microscope, but it never really settles over the 65 miles or so. Nothing really nasty, there are no Ditchling Beacons (those who did last year, Cowleaze Hill will not be on the route this time....) but it's a lot of ups and downs. Compact or triple chainsets and sensible cassettes strongly recommended. I have seen people doing the Randonnee on fixed. Suffice to say, on your head be it....You will need good lights- large sections of the route are well-lit, but as much isn't. In view of the very limited bail-out opportunities (there are ferries during the night, but you might have a bit of a wait both to get back to the port and for the boat), please take extra care to check over your bike and kit, and make sure you have spare tubes, tools for non-quick release wheels (been there, done that....), and so on.

If you're interested, please PM or email me (stu underscore affleck at yahoo dot co dot uk) to get on the list, including your CTC or BC number, mobile number and confirmation that you've read the basics. Please also state if you have a preference for one date or the other- or are equally happy with either- and if you'd be OK with an alfresco half-way or would only want something more civilised.

Last edited:

mikeee

Hello Stu and a happy new year from the north!
Watching this with interest but need to check holidays with work.
My only visit to the IOW was in 1973 on a family holiday, mum and dad, 2 sisters, my grandma and me in a VW Beetle. No really!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Stu. What is the cost of the ferry.

It's a bit ahead but will provisionally through my hat in the ring anyway,

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I am interested depending on whether I am in UK or not.... Can't do 29th as am planning ot ride the Orkneys & Shetlands then, immediately following Le Tour de Normandie

rb58

Enigma
I'm a probable, but will not be able to confirm until nearer the date. At which point I'll email you my details Stu. I presume the ferry is a walk on, buy ticket when you get there affair and no pre-booking is needed?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Pencil me in Stu. I might have to meet up on the island as the Winchester-Pompey trains are hilariously slow, so I'll probably pop over from Scum to Cowes.

I need to renew my BC membership, so will PM when I'm street legal.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I presume the ferry is a walk on, buy ticket when you get there affair and no pre-booking is needed?
Indeed so. No advance fare discounts, no real reason to buy in advance either. There's plenty of room for bikes on the car ferry even on the peak services for the Randonnee, let alone when we'll be going over. Plenty of room on the cat too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My only visit to the IOW was in 1973 on a family holiday, ....
Don't worry, it's not changed.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
This is really a great ride which I can strongly recommend. Albeit lumpier than an ordinary FNRttC and a tad longer (72 miles, here is last year's track: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=A38851CB0D78EA1A7DD38EA24C760B59?fileId=mlcbjbazgxwkszkk), I did not find it too hard in 2014; and it was my first big ride after the winter rest. The scenery is just terrific, the ferry crossings before and after the ride gives it some special touch, and arriving at the Needles in dawn is utterly magic. Moreover, this is probably the night ride with the least traffic. Only downside is the al-fresco halfway stop - if there is rain, this won't be very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the date does not work for me, as I'll be in Germany on that weekend. I was half-expecting this, as almost all weekends in May and June are already pretty packed with PBP qualifiers and the remaining parts of my non-cycling life. Have fun!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
May 15 has been pencilled in as the date, but as a few interested parties might be audaxing on the Sunday, I'm thinking of possibly moving it back a fortnight to the 29th,.

Maybe it's just me but moving it to the 29th May would be moving it forward a fortnight, wouldn't it?.

But anyway. As you note Sunday May 17th is The Great Escape audax in Essex, which I'm entered for. So that's a no-no for me. I'm clear on May 29th at the moment, but I also have family duties that could mess up my attendance then, so if it was moved, I'd only be able to commit in the faintest pencil, I'm afraid so don't take me into account. If you do move it there's a chance I'll be able to make it, that's all.

Top Bottom