FNRttC Night Ride Cardiff to Swansea Friday 18th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Train tickets are now on sale. Not the advance fares though, grr.

Compact and bijou peloton so far, though plenty of time for the numbers to swell significantly. They should do!

yello

CTC membership number

Do you take FFCT (the French CTC)?

I'm around that neck of the words around that time and it'd be kinda nice to put faces to names. If I can work my travel plans out to include this then well and good, and springing £18 for CTC membership would be no biggy either.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Do you take FFCT (the French CTC)?
I don't know the answer to that! We might need to ask His Nibs. I believe we can take up to five non-CTC riders so have traditionally reserved those spaces for BC members or suchlike. Does FFCT membership give you third-party cover for cycling in the UK?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Train tickets are now on sale. Not the advance fares though, grr.
I noticed that too. Don't they go up and down, meaning if you check them regularly you might find them cheaper, later? I seem to recall that experience from times past to other places. Please feel free to dash my hopes if I'm wrong.

I think they use complicated algorithms to alter ticket prices. Some train companies like Southern and London Midland seem to be more straight forward as they just release cheap tickets around the 12 week date, and then the closer you get to your travel date, as those tickets sell out, the price rises. Other companies operate like some airlines in having flexible prices, so the cheap tickets are released on a drip fed basis at random times within the 12 weeks, and I'm sure the more checking you do on a route, the less likely a cheap seat will be available. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that some airlines specifically check for IP addresses, and so increase the price if they recognise the same IP address has been checking the same route over the course of a few weeks, and i wouldn't be surprised if some train companies do the same.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Got a (possibly sacrificial) ticket to Cardiff, the 2046 arrival, for £13.50. Return from Swansea is still £95 at the moment (!). There are also engineering works between Romsey and Salisbury, hence no direct service back for me & to avoid the dreaded replacement bus service I'll probably end up going via Reading and Basingstoke. Ho hum.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I think they use complicated algorithms to alter ticket prices. Some train companies like Southern and London Midland seem to be more straight forward as they just release cheap tickets around the 12 week date, and then the closer you get to your travel date, as those tickets sell out, the price rises. Other companies operate like some airlines in having flexible prices, so the cheap tickets are released on a drip fed basis at random times within the 12 weeks, and I'm sure the more checking you do on a route, the less likely a cheap seat will be available. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that some airlines specifically check for IP addresses, and so increase the price if they recognise the same IP address has been checking the same route over the course of a few weeks, and i wouldn't be surprised if some train companies do the same.
Very interesting!

At this rate I'd just as soon ride my bike there, if I could manage the entire trip without having to stay overnight somewhere (not likely), thus bumping the price up again. Could somebody please move Wales closer to East Sussex?

Top Bottom