FNRttC Night Ride Cardiff to Swansea Friday 18th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
No hurry.
Fair enough. Will be doing some myself (whether or not they're under the FNRttC barrier, they will be in the same vein) & wouldn't want to clash with any other planned rides. If the programme gets constructed without me I'll just have to tack an extension on ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'll be recce-ing the ride (or at lease a fair bit of it) tomorrow, mainly with the objective of popping in to see Hilary and Iain at Ogmore-by-Sea and coming to a halfway-stop arrangement, but also to examine the current state of the Bog Road. @User482 and I will do a full (hopefully evening) recce of the route some time soon.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
We hates it.
But... but... it's an SSSI. With ginormous spiders and everything. More importantly, peeps hate the Fabian Way too, and it hasn't got any better since 2011. There's a MAHOOSIVE university development going on there and gazillions of roadworks. A big chunk of it is supposed to be opening in September, but whether it a) opens on time and b) is an improvement on the current situation or is even worse is yet to become clear. Need to keep the options open for the moment...

OP
OP
U

User482

Adam B
Aled R
Amanda G
Andrew F
Andy E
Andy L
Ann C
Beccy L
Ceri J
Claudine C
Clive B
Dave W
David L
Gordon P
Guto E
Gwenda O
Jim C
Jo W
John O
Kath E
Kevin W
Lara D
Mark E
Martin B
Martin S
Matt C
Michael P
Mike G
Mike S
Nicola E
Oliver T
Peter L
Rebecca O
Rich P
Richard C
Sam W
Simon B
Simon M
Stephen W
Steve R
Stuart A

Last edited by a moderator:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Tell me if this is a stupid idea.

I drive to Cardiff or the Mumbles. If I drive to the Mumbles I get a train to Cardiff. I ride to the Mumbles. I drink beer. If I've left the car in the Mumbles I crash into a Mumbles hotel room, otherwise I get a train to Cardiff and crash into a Cardiff hotel room. Then I drive home on the Sunday.

In the meantime I hope I haven't signed up to play on the Sunday morning - I know I'm doing the followng week, so it's unlikely I'm doing that week.

srw

The Radisson is convenient for Cardiff station and less driving but there would be better drinking company in The Mumbles.
That probably depends on how long I can safely go on drinking for.

The selection of hotels in the Mumbles doesn't inspire me all that much. On the other hand the safety of a car in Cardiff city centre on a Friday night doesn't really bear thinking about.

The selection of hotels in the Mumbles doesn't inspire me all that much. On the other hand the safety of a car in Cardiff city centre on a Friday night doesn't really bear thinking about.
Tides Reach - tell Mary you 'know of' me...she'll charge you double. Her husband has a massive guitar collection and used to be a teacher in Japan, among other things...worth every 1/6d...and I only had breakfast there. Plenty of interest within, and I would be saying "go a day earlier, take in the Mumbles, ride to the top of the hill and see the whacky kiosk, then some cwrw haff before your ride. Then stay another night.
Better still, ride there as you're already halfway. And back if you fancy.

OP
OP
U

User482

http://www.nortonhousehotel.co.uk

Was lovely when I stayed there many years ago, but recent reviews are pretty polarised.

Reactions: srw

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tides Reach - tell Mary you 'know of' me...she'll charge you double. Her husband has a massive guitar collection and used to be a teacher in Japan, among other things...worth every 1/6d...and I only had breakfast there. Plenty of interest within, and I would be saying "go a day earlier, take in the Mumbles, ride to the top of the hill and see the whacky kiosk, then some cwrw haff before your ride. Then stay another night.
Better still, ride there as you're already halfway. And back if you fancy.
They are selling up, Teefchen!

srw

The Shoreline seems to have some decent reviews and looks good value - but there's no parking. Two questions for the management.

1. Is there a dodgy drinking den that will be welcoming to tired cyclists in the Mwmbls or is it more likely to be one in Swansea?
2. If I leave a car in the Mwmbls overnight will it still be there and in one piece when I get back?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The Shoreline seems to have some decent reviews and looks good value - but there's no parking. Two questions for the management.

1. Is there a dodgy drinking den that will be welcoming to tired cyclists in the Mwmbls or is it more likely to be one in Swansea?
2. If I leave a car in the Mwmbls overnight will it still be there and in one piece when I get back?

Parking? Mumbles is a hotbed of revolutionary bicyclists. We only concern ourselves with such things in order to abolish them. No idea about the Shoreline. Patrick's nest door probably does a better breakfast, but it's pricey and their rooms are 'themed'. And anyway, if a few people are staying in the Mwmbwls, we can regroup for breakfast or lunch at Chateau Claud.

1. Our usual post-ride boozer is chosen for location, location and location. That and serving us beer at 9am. It is not chosen for its devotion to craft brewing or its fine selection of cask ales. If we're in a fit state to do so, we can move on to a real pub a little later.
2. It makes sense to know the enemy, so I am totally across where to leave your odious instrument of bourgeois individualism car. Dim problem, as we say down here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom