Night Ride Carlisle - Newcastle 19-Sep-2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm still not certain... :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Would people recommend doing it on my roadie (and travelling sensibly but light) or doing it on my tourer (and taking a pannier for necessaries, such as food).

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Either would be fine. I've ridden it on a road bike and a tourer, and last year @Telemark among others was on a hybrid, Sleepy was riding a tricycle, and @phantasmagoriana was riding fixed so anything should work. The climb out of Greenhead (and up Banks to a lesser extent) is much better with lower gears though IMHO, and the surface on the track into Newburn is hard pack gravel (though not skiddy) so I'd lean towards the tourer personally.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'll be on the CX. Reason being that I need the rack bag to carry a recharger for when the first of my lights gives up. It should be recharged just before the second one runs out.... :unsure:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
@mcshroom I am definitely IN!!!!!! Have just bought my rail ticket to Carlisle. Looking forward to it :smile:

**TO THOSE TRAVELLING FROM TOON OVER TO CARLISLE FOR THE START OF THE RIDE, (ONLY 2 BIKES PER TRAIN I THINK) I'M BOOKED ONTO THE 19.25 FROM NEWCASTLE... SO WILL ALSO BE IN CARLISLE A WEE BIT EARLY!!!

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Do I need any more lights? :smile:

2014-09-13 22.06.00.jpg

MikeW-71

Veteran
Will anyone else need to get the train back from Newcastle to Carlisle? I may be able to get some cheap tickets. (my sister is a Northern conductor)

DefBref

Über Member
Will anyone else need to get the train back from Newcastle to Carlisle? I may be able to get some cheap tickets. (my sister is a Northern conductor)

I'm intending to get the train back to Whitehaven, a cheaper ticket to Carlisle would be appreciated. Thanks

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
People, I'm out, I'm afraid.
I've been struggling with an ongoing back problem for two weeks now that isn't going away, and doesn't look as though it's going to be clear by Friday.
Ignoring the costs of some unrefundable rail tickets, I'm so upset about this, as this ride is an absolute gem. :sad:
But enjoy this and I hope the current good weather holds.

Top Bottom