Night Ride London to Brighton, 5th Sept - NOW CLOSED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K

Ah so. Mr Benn before changing, that answers the Hawaiin Shirt.

I kept getting a different vibe, although Adrian didn't recognise the reference...

Wobblers

Euthermic
Seems you all had a good time: I'm jealous. Thanks for all the good wishes, fingers crossed things don't seem to be as bad as I first feared (my Mum's hip operation hasn't gone as well as it could have, unfortunately).

West Midlands, naturally, though I've be spat at in various other counties too. Never with quite such uncanny accuracy, though.

Somehow, I'm not surprised. Was it Bristol Road, by any chance? I've had bottles thrown at me, eggs thrown at me, one **** get his equally ****ish mate to slow the car so he could slap me on the back of the head. The thing is, I've never experienced such ubiquitous nastiness anywhere else, even in London where the usual congestion might be expected to produce such pent up aggression. That is something that I won't miss about Birmingham...

I hope you're feeling better now, Kim. It's not usual, even for Birmingham.

kimble

Veteran
Somehow, I'm not surprised. Was it Bristol Road, by any chance? I've had bottles thrown at me, eggs thrown at me, one **** get his equally ****ish mate to slow the car so he could slap me on the back of the head. The thing is, I've never experienced such ubiquitous nastiness anywhere else, even in London where the usual congestion might be expected to produce such pent up aggression. That is something that I won't miss about Birmingham...

I hope you're feeling better now, Kim. It's not usual, even for Birmingham.

Indeed it was. From a person (I didn't see if they were on foot or bike, though they were with someone who did have a bike, and moving at about walking speed) on the shared use pavement, rather than a car occupant. I didn't really notice them until after it happened (at which point I couldn't see properly), the Bristol Road requiring your full attention for traffic muppetry and pothole avoidance.

I've been egged and had ice thrown at me on FNRttCs before, but it's less upsetting when you're in a group of cyclists that's clearly going to attract that sort of attention from the post-pub wildlife. I get a lot of verbal comments from riding a recumbent, but the majority are positive or humorous, rather than threats or assaults.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit more zen about it now. It's my knee that bothers me more, as I may be off the bike for a while until it calms down.

(Still quite impressed that I managed Ditchling Beacon pedalling entirely on the left leg. Made easier by not wearing a silly hat, of course.)

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Wanted to add my thanks to Olaf and his minions for a good night out. I think we only put in one wrong turn (and I'm sure that was intentional to prove how much work Simon does :-) ) .

I'd not been feeling on top form in the week leading up to this, and considered cancelling on and off but am glad that I didn't, it did allow me to get my racers excuses in before Ditchling, which I ended up walking the last bit of. Not particularly pleased with that, but it's really not my type of hill and I'm pretty sure I broke mentally a lot more than I did physically. Ah well. That decided me on a train home, and after various misunderstandings with my lift I ended up meeting the car at Ashford and being home a bit after midday to a welcome bed.

As others have mentioned, the weather was about as good as it could be, although dawn felt a bit far off. Gatwick was a good stop over point, nobody could stop praising the loos, I was surprised about the number of cars on the route, while it was by no means constant, it just felt busier than the other two rides I'd done, we figured Surryites had more dinner parties to attend or something.

Was glad I'd layered up a little (long sleeve base layer & Torm top) during the bit through the lanes before the mid ride stop. I had my first riding completely alone experience on the ride, no tail lights in front, no white lights behind. I know others have commented on it being a bit of a high point when they luck in to that but it's never been something I've always preferred having others around (not sure why, validation that I haven't screwed up perhaps? The camaraderie? Not sure) it was a fast flowing bit of the route so I don't think riding and talking was an option there, but I might make more of an conscious decision to hold back on the speed a little if there's no obvious bikes in front rather than sitting at what felt like a natural pace (which is how I ended up away on my own).

So for me, a bit of a mixed bag. I got to have some good chats with people on the ride, and have others I didn't quite manage to get time with, I got to see Adrian doing his super civilised Brompton ride (and the double takes from the people at Gatwick when they'd just got used to a load of lycra clad people meandering past with bikes and then noticed a bowler hat in the middle of them. I suppose it makes sense, they were originally a safety hat for riding after all) and I have another route ticked off in my book. I'm trying to work out a way to do the last Southend Fridays ride, but it really doesn't look likely and I've managed to already be booked on the Felpham night too (along with Normandy next year) but I'm hoping something I can do will turn up.

Again, thanks to all for the company and to the organisers for the organising. :-)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was the one where we stop at the pub at the top of a hill, not sure of the name, Crown?, you were fearless I was foolish!!
Turners Hill (probably) Has a pub called the Crown and is between London and Brighton, so if you went that way, that's probably it.

Sounds fab. Sorry I couldn't be there.

adamski

Guru
Firstly, thanks to redfalo for sorting out the ride down to Brighton and ianrauk for the route back home. The whole ride down to Brighton felt like a FNRttC from 2007 or 2008, which was due to the relatively small group and the Gatwick Surprise. The small group size also meant waymarking duties were completed within moments, so no standing around getting cold. Tim Hall commented on his surprise at how quickly I reappeared at the head of the group after stopping to mark one junction.

I have never done the Hundred Acre Lane route to get from Slugwash Lane to Ditchling Beacon. On this occasion I didn't enjoy it too much because of the recent road "repairs" in which a deep layer of gravel was spread down the road, but I can see it being a much more enjoyable route.

The run down from the summit of the Beacon to the edge of Brighton was ridden with Joe Hatler, who didn't need much encouragement from me to try to catch as many people as possible. The uphills were fine, Joe just needs a bit more mass so to help him maintain momentum of the descents!

Once in Brighton we had a guest appearance by PippaG and then ianrauk lead a few of us back towards London. The route up to Crawley was lovely, but I cannot say I enjoyed the A23. It was just too busy and urban for my liking, esp. having recently been cycling in The Netherlands where riding on these sort of roads just doesn't happen due to the amazing cycling infrastructure. Ah well. I survived, waved goodbye to ianrauk and Eddie_C in Croydon and then tip toed my way through Greenwich, which was very busy due to the Tall Ships Festival. I was home having ridden 200 km and despite the lack of sleep I was pleasantly surprised to fine I was still feeling nice and awake.

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Thanks Olaf for a really well organised fun ride. You certainly know how to pick the weather. I enjoyed my time at the back as a TEC, but the only visitation we had was fixed by the owner, as we professed a lack of understanding of folding small wheel things. One of my highlights was chasing a bowler hatted city gent as we zoomed into Brighton, there was certainly a speed camera flash at some point, although I am fairly sure it wasn't caused by either of us :smile:
It was a tough decision, but I left early without ingesting any beer, so I could ride home. I went on the Lewes Road and have to say that the floating bus stops seem a really good idea. I then went on one of the nicest roads in the South East, through Barcombe and Spithurst and then up and over the Ashdown Forest. To avoid dehydration I stopped at the Crown in Groombridge, which is a lovely spot and watched loads of cyclists coming past and heading up Groombridge Hill. I fell asleep with my head on the table and the concerned barmaid came out to ask if I was ok. I think she though I was mad when she asked how far I had cycled.

I took a few pictures link. Let me know if you want a hi-resolution copy

hpc.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
FNRttC 6Sept14.JPG
A big thanks to Olaf, the TECs and all the Scarecrows. There were absolutely perfect weather conditions, no aggressive boozed-up vagabonds, and almost perfect road conditions....apart from that weird gravel through Streat. A lovely night out, although I had to stop a couple of times on Ditchling for some quiet reflection on The Meaning of Life.
I dashed back to London to leap into a morning suit to begin a ten hour epic of Marriage, Communion Mass and feasting. It was a very happy event. The cycling too.

Thank you all.

Edit: 29.1 mph only, alas.

U

User10571

I've been through there at 38.something mph (my max velocity ever) and failed to trigger it.
And I was trying....

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I have to say that I had several moments of panic with regard to this ride.

The first one was after having logged on to the WIFI of a French campground in late August and realizing the tremendous interest in the ride on Cycle Chat. I was expecting 10 to 15 riders, if at all, but over only a few days twice that number had already signalled interest. I had not completed my cat herding diploma (to borrow @StuAff nice phrase) and did really not fancy leading 80 or 100 riders, potentially many first timers, over an un-recceed route and through Gatwick Airport on my first ride.

The second moment of panic happened around 7pm on Friday night. What if my bike breaks down on the way to Hyde Park Corner or during the night? What if my Garmin crashes? If we get expelled from Gatwick? If nobody turns up? When I arrived at HPC at 11.20pm, I was surprised that about a dozen riders were already waiting and I briefly checked if I was late.

31 riders left Hyde Park Corner. (One of them dressed with a suit, tie and a bowler hat.)

Pacing the ride properly was more difficult than I expected. It felt to me that the departure from London was much slower than on proper FNRttCs, but the tail end later told me that the pace was rather brisk. (Hopefully, it was not too fast.)

We weren't pressed for time because our breakfast place in Brighton wasn't opening until 8am. The Madeirea café wasn't an option because of the Speed Trials, hence we went to Wetherspoons.

It all went swimmingly. As forecasted, the night was bone dry an rather warm. Being right at the front of the ride was fun, in particular on Lonesome Lane. “It doesn't get much better than this”, @ianrauk said when we dashed down Lonesome Lane, and he was definitely right.

I ditched my original idea of riding all the way back to London at Three Bridges, where @mistral and I took a train to Victoria. We later found out that there is a Wetherspoons right inside the station... Ian's route from Brighton to Crawley was beautiful, and Devil's Dyke was another first for me.

I'm glad that everyone seems to have had a nice time – thanks everyone for your company. I'm particularly grateful to @ianrauk and @Tim Hall , who stayed with me at the front, to @mistral, @Flying Dodo and @Trickedem who taking care of the TEC duties. And of course to @dellzeqq who supported me with a lot of advice beforehand.

Looking forward to doing this again.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Make that Brighton to Crawley @redfalo :thumbsup:

Thanks for organising this Olaf. It really turned out out to be a fantastic ride, (notwithstanding a crappy tarmac resurfacing on what used to be a great piece of road at Streat). The warmest night ride of the year, (short sleeved jersey all night with no use for the stashed armwarmers). a manic suicidal mouse and a brilliant ending finishing with a quickly served, cheap, tasty full English (real sausages) and free coffee refills in great, comfortable surroundings.

Great to see everyone and always nice to meet some new friends from this forum.

060914stra.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom