Night Ride London to Brighton, 5th Sept - NOW CLOSED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
a crappy tarmac resurfacing on what used to be a great piece of road at Streat
Would this be "chipseal", the bane of this country as it's cheap as chips (comparatively speaking).
Seems to be an epidemic of it this year.

Tim Hall

I have to say that I had several moments of panic with regard to this ride.

What if my Garmin crashes? If we get expelled from Gatwick?
If the Garmin crashes at least half the riders know the way.
If we get expelled from Gatwick we either go to Tesco at Crawley (4km) or Pease Pottage services (9km).

But we didn't have to.

That was an excellent ride and my first SMRbH. Thanks everyone for making it happen.

hatler

Guru
Olaf, thank you hugely for that, and for letting interlopers in at seven eighths distance. A perfect night in so many ways.

Apart from the abomination that was Streat Lane. Just a month ago I was extolling the virtues to Dellzeqq himself about what a wonderful job they had done on it by relaying whole stretches of the surface which had taken a knock through the winter. Not only was it gorgeously smooth it was also pot hole free.

Sadly, they tarred and chipped the whole bloody length of it on Thursday. Really really really not nice.

By the time we hauled away this evening it was already an order of magnitude better.

Kids were delighted (once again) to be a part of the ride and hats off to Mrs H who has assumed coffee duties without any complaining (and also has to wake and prepare the children).

Stu, thank you very much for looking after Joe on his way up the hill, and Adam, thank you for taking on that responsibility to the top of the hill by the golf course.

Apologies for not joining Team Beer. We headed instead to the other Wetherspoons (and bumped into Trickedem and set him on the right way) and then for the front to watch such wonders as a 7 litre Cortina Mk II try to get from one end of Madeira Drive to the other as fast as possible (and in one piece).

After watching the morning session there we headed back to the van on Streat Lane where I survived without nodding off until 10pm.

Happy days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Oops! I forgot to thank the Hatlers. Many thanks to them, belatedly.
so did I... :banghead:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
7 litre Cortina Mk II try to get from one of Madeira Drive to the other as fast as possible (and in one piece)

One side? About as far as I'd expect a 7litre archaic Ford to get.

Tim Hall

I think we're closing in on the limit this camera is set at.

Joe at 36 was no flash.
I didn't get one at 40.
Radar reflective area also plays a part. I think you need two cyclists on uprights next to each other. Or one recumbent - more metal in it. Innit. I mentioned on the ride my plans to make a gilet out of a space blanket to give greater area to a single rider.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
radar reflector.jpeg
Radar reflective area also plays a part. I think you need two cyclists on uprights next to each other. Or one recumbent - more metal in it. Innit. I mentioned on the ride my plans to make a gilet out of a space blanket to give greater area to a single rider.
No need for that. This one comes with a handy helmet mount. I'm sure that a cap mount can be put together with half a reel of duct tape.

Top Bottom