FNRttC Night ride to Whitstable, April 22nd, 2016 (Starting at Tower Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Anyone got a track of Friday's route - I'm curious about the riverside bit at Greenhithe.
It was the same route, just a different re-grouping spot which you can see on @Dogtrousers track at mile 19.

Mehmet

Thanks all for a fantastic ride! My first FNRttC after a few years of trying to convince myself to do one, was a fantastic experience. I think I left my legs somewhere on the Graveney Marshes...the ride into Whitstable was a slow, painful one. As was the ride to the station.

Big thanks to Tim, the Tail End Charlies and the Wayfinders, and everyone I spoke and rode with...you all helped me keep my cranks turning!

ianmac62

Guru
... the return was much worse, 8 1/2 hours of various trains, including what seemed like a random tour of central England, doubling the journey time ... View attachment 126010

Good to have met you @EatSleepRideRepeat and didn't we have fun folding non-folding bikes on the train from Whitstable to St Pancras.

@CharlieB ... How you managed the whole nights ride in shorts and fingerless gloves I will never know ...

Did you spot the young man who did the whole ride in jeans and wearing no gloves at all? Turned out he was the other Eddie C!

... I see someone did it on a Roberts Roughstuff! Believe me, they also deserve a bit of awe. ... So, to the woman who rode the Roughstuff, "Cheers".

This was indeed Miriam, an honorary Northamptonian from Putney, for whom this was her first FNRttC and, indeed, her first ever ride at night-time. That Roberts has been to some places! Here's two photos (courtesy of Alex) of (1) the front forks having been welded back together after fracturing near Montevideo and (2) the Uruguayan welding team - who usually do cars. They welded the forks back together using a piece of scaffolding pipe for support. And still got the disk brakes to work.

10530873_918846901480725_2786006783377071451_n.jpg

10348450_918567094842039_6393212787644870726_n.jpg

U

User10571

17mph av across those marshes into a headwind is formidable.
Does Strava speak with forked tongue?
Hmmm?
Just asking.....

jiberjaber

Veteran
17mph av across those marshes into a headwind is formidable.
Does Strava speak with forked tongue?
Hmmm?
Just asking.....

We were like a pro-peloton with poor Charlie doing all the work at front and us waiting to pounce..... (which we never did...) lol it was a tank emptying effort!

jiberjaber

Veteran
OK, 16.7 mph average rather than the rounded up version..... :smile: :cheers:

It was the about the same speed coming back out but I was a bit more broken then and we did a fair bit of stop start in the town.
headwindCapture.JPG

Top Bottom