No gear and no idea!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking to kit myself out. Got a great bike. Too good for me. Need all the other stuff. Medium build. Slim. Waist 30. 5:10 height. Size 9 feet. Not interested in looking super cool. Just need what is needed!

Thanks

Jonny

raindog

er.....
Love the writing style. Reads like a telegram. ^_^

MattE72

Kepp an eye out for cycle gear sales at Lidl & Aldi. They seem to come around pretty quickly, the gear is mostly good quality, looks good and is, as you'd expect, reasonably priced.

OP
OP
Jonathan Airey
Love the writing style. Reads like a telegram. ^_^
Sorry about that. Hate texting on my phone and have adapted writing style accordingly. Refuse to abbreviate though (LOL) and hate the use of the explanation mark!!!! Mick Jagger is a god by the way. Well he was. Spider and the Fly!

L14M

Über Member
Imho muddy fox shorts and tights are decent, lidl gel gloves are great aswell as their jerseys!

Liam

MikeG

Guru
If there is a triathlon near you this summer, drop in and watch a bit, and you'll almost certainly find a display or two of reduced price kit. I've bought a number of technical jerseys and tee shirts from the bargain rail at triathlons, and there are some amazing bargains to be had. Don't let anyone tell you that shoes have to cost a fortune, either. Keep a good watch for bargains on eBay, Wiggle, Evans etc, and you should find a decent pair for thirty-odd pounds (go for a mountain-bike or touring pair, so that you can walk in them despite the cleats). Your key purchase are your padded shorts (and longs for the winter). DHB Aeron for the shorts, Aldi for the longs is my suggestion as a place to start.

Julia9054

Guru
Buy a decent pair of padded shorts. I wear Specialized. I hate parting with money but have lost count of the numbers of pairs of cheap shorts I've bought and thrown away. Then get on eBay. Most of my jerseys, jackets and even my shoes are second hand.
My fella finds that he can often pick up cheap, decent cycling jerseys and jackets in TKMaxx. Never anything in the women's section for me though.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Sorry about that. Hate texting on my phone and have adapted writing style accordingly. Refuse to abbreviate though (LOL) and hate the use of the explanation mark!!!! Mick Jagger is a god by the way. Well he was. Spider and the Fly!
OMG!!!! You don't like an explanation mark!!! Guilty as charged m'laud :laugh: (yes, I'm guilty)

As others have said Aldi and Lidl are good as a starting point.
I've also bought t-shirts on eBay and it's they've been fine (I ride a mountain bike so wear more casual stuff).

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your budget, buy the best you can afford. There are also some great discounts out there in Web World on last year's kit especially

You mentioned tyres in the other thread, depends what your looking for if puncture resistant I can recommend Continental Gatorskins nearly 5,000 miles without the tyres being punctured, though I had a failed patch, and a pinch puncture, as for other kit as the above have said.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can end up spending a lot of money, just depends how far you want to go. I just use ordinary shorts with T shirt. I notice you have already asked about a helmet. You can buy clip less pedals and shoes (which are in effect clips!). Be aware that you won't be able to walk comfortably in cleated shoes and with most makes you need to buy one size up from what you normally wear. The planetX bundle looks good.

Top Bottom