No gear and no idea!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getting back into cycling and need to kit myself out. Been in Dubai for 12 years. Had a serious crash. 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken elbow etc. Hit a sand bag in the road at 45kmh. Jacked knifed front wheel, bike became an instant catapult! Thought I was a gonner! Longest micro second of my life. Rashid hospital for 4 weeks with a tube coming out of my side into what looked like a transparent radiator! Back in Blighty now and want to get kitted out. So looking for stuff but aint got a clue. My brother recommends xc30 shoes even though I have a road bike - Cannondale CAAD5. Great bike but it needs new tyres and I need everything else. Athletic build. 5:10 in height. Waist 30inch. You got some stuff that I might need? I will buy it. Got shorts and leggings. Need everything else. Can you help? I will pay, just don't know where to start.
Thanks

Jonny

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just send your money to me :rolleyes:

Mountain bike shoes are fine and possibly even better than road shoes if you plan to cafe stop alot :thumbsup:
If you search the forum there's been a few threads on essential kit, for me its a spare tube, tyre levers/ multi tool (Topeak Hexus II has both), mini pump and build anything else from there: Bottles, small saddlebag, lights, track pump etc

Last edited:

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Get the bike set up & fitted out as above, then its shorts & shoes, followed by jersey & wind/shower proof jacket.
Hope your recovery goes well, don't overdo it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aldi will have their sale very shortly, if I'm not mistaken it could be as soon as 4th May.

Worth getting a few bits there to get you going.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you intend buying shoes on line it is a good idea to check the sizing via reviews or better still physically going to a shop and trying on the brand you intend to buy (some people will frown at this). I find Shimano and Specialized shoes are small and I wear a 47 in both brands but wear 44 to 45 in normal shoes. While with Lake shoes a 45/46 fitted.

OP
OP
Jonathan Airey
Thank you to everyone. really appreciate everyone's advice. what a damn fine bunch you all are. anyone tell me how to change gears? Sturmy archer has me stumped

cyberknight

Thank you to everyone. really appreciate everyone's advice. what a damn fine bunch you all are. anyone tell me how to change gears? Sturmy archer has me stumped
What gears have you got on the bike ?
Is it like this ?
11384.jpg

If so you push the inner lever in to change up and the brake lever in to change down , same on the left
or..
product_369142.jpg

Same but you press the thumb lever instead of the inner lever , brake lever the same .
sram ?
Sram+Red+shifter+Outside.jpg

Inner lever push in 1 click to up change , push inner lever in for 2 clicks to down change
If its a different sort just post and i am sure we can help .

cyberknight

Tyres
Depends if you want a light race tyre go for ultremo`s , light , fast but are not that puncture resistant.
Balanced continental 4 seasons ?

I currently use conti gator skins for commuting and michelin pro race 3 for weekend rides.

Top Bottom