No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm still a bit puzzled by the reasoning behind this. I can see three potential reasons:
* Wiggins, despite his recent statements that he is willing to ride for Froome, has thrown a hissy fit and stepped out of line with his recent statement.
* Froome has thrown a hissy fit and, in line with his recent anti-Wiggins spin, refused to ride with Wiggins on the team.
* Brailsford has decided that, despite his obvious advantages on the road, the cost to team unity means that on balance Wiggins should not be picked.

I'd tend towards the third, with a bit of the other two thrown in. And I wonder how wise it is.
After all pro cycling is not just about winning races, it's also about pleasing the sponsor. Sky would appear to be relatively unpopular with non-British fans ("tested positive for smug" etc), and the resevoir of goodwill with casual British followers of cycling will be tested by this. The current perception, looking at various sporting fora on the web, and the press, seems to be that good ole Brad has been kicked out by a big headed South African. Not a fair assessment of the situation, but I don't think it's an inaccurate description of current perception.

Being seen to discard the twin Queen Mothers of British cycling, Wiggins and Cavendish, may worry the moneybags in Sky, especially if Froome doesn't deliver.

A bit more Strauss/Pietersen than Cooper/Bugner (and yes, I do know where Andrew Strauss was born, and Bradley Wiggins, come to that).

I suspect that the money men at Sky don't actually care much - the test is how many extra customers does in bring in. Which is why they have multi-channels on footy, and zero on cycling, excepting what they pick up from other broadcasters. You simply have to understand it's about commercial advantage. Which is not what Sky are about - they will probably be gone as a team by the end of 2015 or 16, however many TdF wins they get. The biggest impact is the first win, and for that they are doubtless grateful to Sir Bradley, Mr Brailsford, and the team.

simon briggs

I think this is pretty simple really.

Dave Brailsford has proved (within Sky and British cycling) that he knows what he is doing. I would think that the internal stats would prove that Chris Frome's profile is closer to a TDF winner (at this stage in the season) than Wiggins. Yes the California win was good but I would have rather see Wiggins go to the Giro and win that to prove he has true class in a grand tour.

I would also think that internal politics plays a part and there is no love loss between Wiggins and Frome and I am not sure that because of that Sky would have been confident that wiggins would have worked as hard for Frome. I suspect Wiggins still believes that he should be no1.

The BBC interview is Wiggins way of saying im on the market and new teams come for me if you want - he will be at Katusha this time next year!!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Dave Brailsford has proved (within Sky and British cycling) that he knows what he is doing. I would think that the internal stats would prove that Chris Frome's profile is closer to a TDF winner (at this stage in the season) than Wiggins. Yes the California win was good but I would have rather see Wiggins go to the Giro and win that to prove he has true class in a grand tour.
He's also proved that he's not scared of taking unpopular decisions. It's more important to Brailsford that at the end of the TdF the yellow jersey has Sky written on the front than who is actually wearing it. I think he'll send the team best suited to achieving that than worry about whether or not two of them can't stand each other.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think this is pretty simple really.

I would also think that internal politics plays a part and there is no love loss between Wiggins and Frome and I am not sure that because of that Sky would have been confident that wiggins would have worked as hard for Frome. I suspect Wiggins still believes that he should be no1.

The BBC interview is Wiggins way of saying im on the market and new teams come for me if you want - he will be at Katusha this time next year!!
I think the internal politics must be the factor. It's not a question of who is a more likely TdF winner, CF or BW, it's obviously Froome. The question is, who's a better TdF domestique - BW or (say) Porte (or someone else). Having seen Wiggins do the ole "stifle the attacks on the hill by riding tempo" bit pretty darn well in the California and some tough riding in Paris Roubaix you'd have thought BW would be in with a better than decent shout.

I imagine Sky are probably just as keen to stop having to pay the turbulent Wiggins his no doubt enormous salary as he is to be riding in higher profile events.

Hont

Guru
Porte's below par display yesterday must have caused some selection worries.

If I was Sir Dave I'd say to Froome, Porte's not good enough to go. If you want to take him you'll have to take Wiggins too. :evil:

simon briggs

I think the internal politics must be the factor. It's not a question of who is a more likely TdF winner, CF or BW, it's obviously Froome. The question is, who's a better TdF domestique - BW or (say) Porte (or someone else). Having seen Wiggins do the ole "stifle the attacks on the hill by riding tempo" bit pretty darn well in the California and some tough riding in Paris Roubaix you'd have thought BW would be in with a better than decent shout.

I imagine Sky are probably just as keen to stop having to pay the turbulent Wiggins his no doubt enormous salary as he is to be riding in higher profile events.

agreed - I suspect that Wiggins is on a decent contract that relates to races taken part in.

Perhaps not a popular view but Wiggins is clearly on a downward spiral - TBF he is getting on a little, but I suspect that his best year are behind him

JBGooner

Über Member
The thing that annoys me about Wiggins not going - apart from Britain's second ever best GC rider not being allowed to ride in the worlds biggest race and one that starts in his own country :angry: - is that all but one or two out of the twenty two teams that are riding the Tour would love to have him. Most of them would have him as their team leader.

Shame he can't sign for OGE now.

Hont

Guru
Perhaps not a popular view but Wiggins is clearly on a downward spiral
Not a correct view either ;). He's way better than last year.

MisterStan

Label Required
The thing that annoys me about Wiggins not going - apart from Britain's second ever best GC rider not being allowed to ride in the worlds biggest race and one that starts in his own country :angry: - is that all but one or two out of the twenty two teams that are riding the Tour would love to have him. Most of them would have him as their team leader.

Shame he can't sign for OGE now.
He still wouldn't win.

montage

God Almighty
Porte's below par display yesterday must have caused some selection worries.

If I was Sir Dave I'd say to Froome, Porte's not good enough to go. If you want to take him you'll have to take Wiggins too. :evil:

Wiggo must be licking his lips having seen Porte's performance

simon briggs

Not a correct view either ;). He's way better than last year.

agreed but last year was poor and he really should have pushed on - he will not win another GT. i really do think he was lucky to have had Sky around him in 2012 - he was gifted his win (if you can say such a thing in the hardest sport in the world). Even if he joins another team - and he has said that track is his focus next year - he would need a great team around him and im not sure he would get the investment from anyone else.

Only my opinion but I think Wiggins lacks class as well - Sky will be glad to be rid when it happens.

perplexed

Guru
I, as others have alluded to, also don't think Porte is a shoe-in for the Tour.

He's off the boil at the moment, and after all, Dave Brailsford has said the Daupine and Switzerland are 'selection' races...

I'm inclined to think Wiggins will be on the team sheet rather than Porte (and I like Porte) on current performance...

Top Bottom