No10 Petition thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not really one for input on wording but I wotk for a large company with an active bicycle users group so when it's ready and online I'll start promoting it at work and the club I train with too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Once it is worded, might it be worth getting those who are riding Audax, Sportive etc events to ask the organisers to make it available for signature ?

When I was learning to drive a car, my Father told me that I was now learning how to handle probably the most dangerous weapon I would ever be licensed to handle.

Why is this not represented in the charges brought ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well after seeing the Fish Fight one .... I would say that you could use a Facebook page as one of the means of spreading the word.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I need a little help to structure the petition, so it is succinct, yet covers the vital points of safety, justice, driver and cyclist responsibility and future casualty reduction. So if anyone can help and is willing to hop on board then feel free to post here.

I think a call for strict liability for drivers of motor vehicles answers all these points. Effective, specific, symbolically important, and in line with most other European countries,

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yes that is a good one. Maybe best not to mention the 'other European countries'? Depends how many UKIP die-hards(oops) are out there..

:thumbsup: to CP for starting this.

Actually I think it IS best to mention that this is done in other countries, but phrased so that we are saying that this has been shown to work (NOT that we should do it to bring us into line with other European countries).

Count me in for spreading the word/linking to facebook page etc. I'm happy to help with making the thing succinct if needed, although you probably have enough volunteers for this.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Norman Baker has already pissed on the Strict Liability bonfire this year, of course, but I hardly think that's a reason to drop it.

Shaun

Founder
There's the other main UK cycling forums too - we could get them in on the act - and then there's VeloVision (although I don't know whether they would be interested in a "campaign" piece?) and Cycling Weekly and C+.

We can put something on the CC Facebook page (which we don't use as often as we should) and we have a CC Twitter too (again, which we don't use much but can make available for updates on how many signatures and how far and wide it's progressing etc.)

If it warranted it, I could also give it its own forum - where promotion strategies could be discussed in greater depth than in just this thread.

Let me know where I can be of help and I'll try to help out where I can.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We can put something on the CC Facebook page (which we don't use as often as we should) and we have a CC Twitter too (again, which we don't use much but can make available for updates on how many signatures and how far and wide it's progressing etc.)

I meant one of those campaigning facebook pages ... which people "like" or join a group and get information specifically about it and then use our own Facebook pages (including the CC one) to link to it and bring it to a wider audience. (However I'm not that brilliant at Facebook so I don't know much about it other than I've joined/like a couple of campaigns that I have agreed with.

Shaun

Founder
I meant one of those campaigning facebook pages ... which people "like" or join a group and get information specifically about it and then use our own Facebook pages (including the CC one) to link to it and bring it to a wider audience.

Ah, yes, that would be better!! :smile:

(However I'm not that brilliant at Facebook so I don't know much about it other than I've joined/like a couple of campaigns that I have agreed with).

Me either, which is why I don't update the CC one very often.

I'm sure we can find a Facebook expert or two amongst the CC IT crowd ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

I also know a reporter or two up here, so once the campaign gets going we can get some publicity for this.

I am and always have been a big supporter of ground up campaigning. It's difficult to get going, but if it does get going I think it can have a greater impact.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'll retweet it like a bitch :biggrin: maybe we could get a hashtag going?

Is that supposed to make sense? :biggrin: :blush: Presumably you will post something on Twitter? Lots of times? (I hate to think how I'm not going to be able to keep up with the world in 10 or 20 years time!!!)

Top Bottom