No10 Petition thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Petition to: Remove the danger on British roads posed by drivers of motor vehicles towards to Vulnerable Road Users - peds, cyclists et al.

Background - Identify the problem - made up of some punchy facts and figures such as ..

* Cycling and walking are inherently good, it is only the threat posed by motor vehicles which renders these safe and healthy activities dangerous
* Pedestrians and cyclists are x% more likely to be killed or seriously injured in a collision than the occupant of a motor vehicle.
* Aside from the human cost of (x) deaths per year KSIs involving vulnerable road users costs society/ the economy £xxxmillions
* Road danger is still the #1 reason that people are deterred from cycling
* Blah blah etc

This is a problem of danger posed to VRUs by drivers of motor vehicles. The solution up to now has been to suggest that VRUs adopt protective wear - helmets, HiViz. Asking the victims of danger to protect themselves rather than controlling the danger at source. It hasn't worked.

We propose that the only way of reducing and ultimately removing this danger is to remove it at source by the implementation of ;

* Driver education (and re-education) programmes
* More severe sentences for dangerous drivers
* Change the onus (?) of liability to bring the UK in line with other European nations

fimm

Veteran
I don't like the word "remove" - we are never going to remove all accidents, but we can hope to reduce them, so I think reduce is a better word. I think we want something that sounds achievable.
In my opinion, of course, others may disagree.

I don't like the word "remove" - we are never going to remove all accidents, but we can hope to reduce them, so I think reduce is a better word. I think we want something that sounds achievable.
In my opinion, of course, others may disagree.

I sat and looked at the word 'reduce' and it just didn't sit right. It's not strong enough, and surely our aim - impossible though it might be in reality - is to remove danger.

Our target has to be be zero deaths. Where else can the line be drawn?

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to…

determine by instruction to the Crown Prosecution Service and the Courts that drivers who cause fatal or serious injury collisions with cyclists and pedestrians by inattention and poor observation are in the legal sense of the word “careless” and thus stop drivers getting away with murder.

amyling

Hi again guys,

With regards to the petition I have been in touch with the self styled "cycling lawyer" who is actually a barrister in London, who is fighting for road safety as well. Here is what he said when I asked him for advice:

The reality though is that we have the laws necessary to call careless
motorists to proper account but are faced with a failure of the police,
the CPS and sometimes the Courts to act consistently to enforce those
laws. None of those weak links are going to respond to a petition in
the way that an elected government might though they may respond to
publicity.

In light of this, please support the save a cyclist campaign on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-...pages/Save-a-cyclist-campaign/187240304636842, #saveacyclist on twitter. We really need to raise publicity and pressurise the government into enforcing harsher sentences!

I promise I won't plug the campaign again!

Amy

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have just read Amy's campaign.

I know I started this one, but in the spirit of cycling camararderie (sp?) I think it would be confusing to have too many on the go. So I think we should get behind one.

As I see it, Amy is miles ahead any way, so lets get on board with her. We can (with Amy's help) always petition on the back of her campaign?

amyling

I know I started this one, but in the spirit of cycling camararderie (sp?) I think it would be confusing to have too many on the go. So I think we should get behind one.

As I see it, Amy is miles ahead any way, so lets get on board with her. We can (with Amy's help) always petition on the back of her campaign?

We keep jumping between posts, but I have posted a full reply on the "save a cyclist" thread in the campaigns section!

x

sheddy

Legendary Member
Do we have a date for the epetition to go up ?

Jezston

Über Member

I don't think the two things are at odds, and the petition plan is less about cycling more about getting the legal machinations to deal with dangerous driving better.

Keep it up with the petition. We need to get the cycling lawyer on board as I expect he'd be good at draughting such a thing.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Count me in. Agree we need a legal bod to ensure the wording is watertight. I'd be hopeless as ''Petition to execute all Volvo drivers'' may not quite hit the right note! Loads of cyclists where I work so once the petition is up I'll forward to them.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
CP sorry really late to this post, didn't realise it was a call for help on a petition! Cycling campaigns is what my last job was in before I left, I've been involved in community and workplace campaigns. I haven't had the chance to read this fully as on the phone so skimming but let's get this up and running. A few on here started a hgv/safety campaign but unfortunately a load of life stuff kicked off for me as the momentum was building so it's quietened down. There's about £100odd squid we raised which magnatom has.

Im more than happy to help with wording, strategy, press etc as have tons of experience but may have to pull back at times as my health is not at it's best. One stipulation, if you want to lobby Mps you need to consider timing, political climate and most importantly groundswell. Mps won't change their minds unless there is big pressure from the public. Campaigns to be successful need to come from the ground up. Cycle campaigns or any campaigns take time and can be thankless but I'm on board!

Apologies for spelling-phone is an annoyance! CP you have PM!

Top Bottom