No10 Petition thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I think we need to carry on with this ourselves.

amyling dashed-in in January to promote her own Facebook based campaign, but hasn't shown any interest in CC since.

Do we have any legal bods here on CC that could advise us or point us in the direction of some advocacy support?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
London Cycle Campaign has HGV Day of Action and Petition on 30th March - http://www.lcc.org.uk/

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Count me in. Agree we need a legal bod to ensure the wording is watertight. I'd be hopeless as ''Petition to execute all Volvo drivers'' may not quite hit the right note! Loads of cyclists where I work so once the petition is up I'll forward to them.

I've got a Volvo... sniff.
sad.gif

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
As well as signing the Petition, you could also lobby your MP to sign Early day motion 1393 which calls for a change to stricter liability. It is really easy to do, just look up your MP on They work for you and send they a message telling them that you, the voter, want them to sign this EDM...

rowan 46

Über Member
petitions are all very well But i have my doubts about their efficacy i've always assumed they're read and filed away under special interest groups we care nothing about.
Did you know a letter to the pm has to be responded to by his office? A downloadable letter from 10 000 cyclists has to be reponded to 10 000 times admittedly it will only be a stock letter but somebody has to read them to know which stock letter to send out thus tying up his staff. Once you have received a reply you then send another copy and they have to respond to that eventually they get so hacked off it gets to the something must be done stage, personally I think this would be more effective as an adjunct to the petition.

wheelnut

Is the proposed petition to reduce cycling fatalities across the UK or just England? Political power has been devolved from Westminster to the regions, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The CTC claims to be a 'national cycling' organisation but was very late in recognizing the threat posed by the proposed compulsory helmet legislation in Northern Ireland and the most effect rebuttal to this threat was put forward by Sustrans not the CTC. Road traffic legislation is being passed by devolved governments. Has this been considered? It may have an impact on where you are able to get your support from.

Top Bottom