Noisy Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

Been out for a few rides on the new Felt F95 and I'm really enjoying it. Great Spec for the money makes it a pleasure to ride. The only thing that is bugging me a bit (in fact it's completely doing my head in) is the noises coming from the bike. Basically, there is a sort of clicking or perhaps a creaking sound coming from around the rear end. It happens most when I've got the pedals under load, but can also occur very intermittently if I ride over uneven stretches of tarmac. From this, I've dismissed any issue with the actual drivetrain and now reckon it is definitely coming from the back wheel. At first I thought it was the dérailleur cage clipping the spokes, but it still occurs when I'm in the higher gears with the cage well away from the wheel. I guess the best way to describe the sound is like when you pluck at the spokes or maybe like there is a small stick catching them. I wasn't 100% happy with how true the wheels were when I first got the bike, but thought I'd let the spokes bed in for a while and then get the wheels trued up properly (which I haven't had done yet). Upon inspection of the rear wheel there are quite a few spokes, mainly on the non-drive side that feel on the loose side (perhaps excessively so), while the spokes on the drive side itself are a lot tighter. From what I've described do you guys think there is a real issue with the wheel, or will a visit to the local bike shop to get the wheels trued and tensioned properly probably sort me out. Never had a bike make these kinds of noises and I'd like to get it nailed as it is currently spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic bike. Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to give.

rb58

Enigma
Clicks and creaks can be very hard to pin down. Usually it's a matter of trial and error. Often you think the sound is coming from a particular part on the bike, but it ends up being from somewhere else completely. There are plenty of threads on the forum on things to check for.

young Ed

Veteran
as above
as you say could be spokes but very, very difficult to tell even if i were on the bike riding it
Cheers Ed

lpretro1

Be aware that spoke tension in a rear wheel will be different NDS to DS as the wheel is dished to accommodate the gears. The NDS spokes will often 'feel' loose compared to DS. If the bike is new then get it right back to the shop as it is under warranty. If you do anything to it then that could void the warranty. They should check that bb is tight (often aren't on new bikes) and that the pedal threads were greased before putting them on etc etc. Also if ytou are using cleats - check they are nice and tight too.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Be aware that spoke tension in a rear wheel will be different NDS to DS as the wheel is dished to accommodate the gears. The NDS spokes will often 'feel' loose compared to DS. If the bike is new then get it right back to the shop as it is under warranty. If you do anything to it then that could void the warranty. They should check that bb is tight (often aren't on new bikes) and that the pedal threads were greased before putting them on etc etc. Also if ytou are using cleats - check they are nice and tight too.
Bike was bought from Merlin Cycles in Lancashire and I'm on the Isle of Wight, so taking it back is not really an option. I accepted that buying the bike mail order at a distance might have slight issues and I don't consider this minor problem to be a reason not to this kind of deal again in future. I figured the spoke tension on either side of a rear wheel would be slightly different due to the offset, but the NDS spokes just seem a bit too loose when comparing to my two MTB's. Think I'll take the wheels to the local bike shop for truing anyway, just to make sure everything is all good. Definitely going to take Dave S advice and swap the wheel from my son's bike in for a try-out. Apart from that, I've been over the bike and checked everything is tight and I'm fairly happy all is in order. It didn't come with pedals, so I put my own clipless ones on, having greased the threads first, so fairly happy that's not the problem. Really appreciate your (and everyone else's) tips and advice on this subject. Thanks matey.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had a nasty little squeak/creak that appeared when the pedals were under high load.

Sounded like the BB/Cranks - after a lot a of faffing about I traced it to the headset top cap!!!

Bit of grease on the bolt thread and it was sorted.

Top Bottom