'Non-MAMIL' cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm going to attempt this morning to use my bike for an errand in reasonably stylish attire.

I've bought some skinny trousers for cheap (from a charity shop) and I'm going to attempt to ride- with verve, gusto and elan- to look at a house we're interested in renting.

I know all this sounds utterly prosaic but it's quite a departure for me, it really is! I've done loads of miles and loads of commuting but always in proper cycling gear...

Hopefully if the trousers don't prove to be too restrictive I shouldn't be much slower than my usual pace but we'll see!

A

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't forget the clips, or tuck the RH trouser leg into your sock!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
No tucking offered or implied!

I'll still be wearing SPDs though; that would be a bridge too far.

si_c

Guru
I mostly ride in jeans, the trick is to

1) not care that the cuffs are going to get a little dirty, although I'm told that all my jeans are and I quote "a disgusting mess", and
2) get jeans that have added elastane in the fibre mix, this makes them nice comfortable normally, but stretchy enough when riding that they are not restrictive at all.

Of course you can mitigate 1) by wearing trouser clips as @Globalti said. I find that half the time I'm wearing shoes with SPDs on, just in case I need to run somewhere quickly on the bike, I can just hop on and go without changing shoes etc etc.

Utility cycling. It's the future.:evil::bicycle:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I did say reasonably stylish.

IMAG1936_zpskkr3nsbh.jpg

You can't expect miracles at my age!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
BTW I'm not growing a beard; I'm just fighting off a bad cold and my face is far too sore to shave...

Now I can see why 'stretch' material is so important to proper cycling trousers! I didn't expect the restricted movement to take so much out of me. I found I was rocking side to side slightly, as if my seat is too high (it isn't).

Other than that they're fine! It'd be nice to have some Rapha, Swrve or Vulpine ones, but my Burton ones cost me £6 from a charity shop. Once more I spin the wheel of smugness! :becool:

Top Bottom