North London 200k DIY Audax - 29/11 and 14/12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
As I've embarked on a ludicrous attempt to do an RRTY, I have to ride a 200k Audax in November and December. What's not to like?

I'll be riding on Nov. 29 (Saturday) and on Dec. 14 (Sunday) from Stoke Newington (southern entrance of Clissold Park) to Sudbury, then down to Colchester and back to London. This is the route, and it's really lovely (the part to Sudbury follows the Dun Run route).

My ambition would be doing this in 10 to 11 hours, with little stops in between. If I'm doing this on my own, I'll probably start 7am-ish, but if somebody wants to joing me, 9am would be alright as well. Anyone fancy joining me?
Cheers
Olaf

mmmmartin

Random geezer
yes i would like to join you but Real Life is getting in the way. i am back at the Ft this week, and probably several more times before christmas, also need to get to somerset to sort out a new expedition bike from Thorn for patagonia, and i leave for that in january.

PS am seeing gordon on wednesday - no doubt we'll talk about the fridays

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
After my sportive on Sunday, which I thoroughly enjoyed in excellent conditions & finished 72 (they said) or 74 (my GPS said) in 5 hrs 50 mins including a couple of brief stops, I found myself looking forward to being stretched by a challenge. I was with a mate who was a bit slower than me so I swapped being social for achieving a time (that's the Fridays influence I think) but I could have done it 30 mins quicker I think. (Time was not important. Friends are.) But I think that means I can do 200 kms at the speed you suggest. Esecially as it is a reasonably flat route. So if the weather is OK (whatever that means) count me in.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
My ambition would be doing this in 10 to 11 hours, with little stops in between.
Cheers
Olaf
Just transferring GPS route to the computer. TRhe 215 kms reduced to 212. Moving time 9h 22mins with 1h 56m stopped, which considering we spent 1h 15 at the Sudbury cafe is not bad! Moving average 23kph.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
We were incredibly lucky in terms of weather. Thanks for your great company. Will do a slightly modified version of the route ( http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=pgohznmruaqlvmlk) on Sunday, Dec 14 again. Probably 6am start, lunch after 115km in Coggesham. Any takers?

Here are some pics of yesterday's adventure

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Top Bottom