Norwich Charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

openroad

On the 31st May The British Heart Foundation have a charity ride in Norwich.You can enter yourself into 25 50 or 100 miles.I have entered myself in for 50 I need to get some miles in on my bike it's a while since I've cycled that distance.Any advice appreciated thanks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Look up Norfolk Cycling Forum on Facebook and ask for pointers to an appropriate group. Let them know your current speed and preferred riding style.

How far are you cycling at the moment? Or how far can you cycle comfortably at the moment? If you can do 10 miles, then next weekend, do 10 in one direction, stop for a coffee and cake, then 10 back. Then another 10 on Sunday. Following weekend, 30 with a coffee break. then 40 with a coffee break.

Then the sportive. You'll be fine.

Edit: Just had a look. You have 10 hours to finish. If you can comfortably cycle 10 miles, I'd relax. I've taken people on 60 mile cycles when the longest then had done was 10 miles. Just broken it up into 6x10 mile rides with a good break over some food. You are nearly fresh again after the break. If you cycle 10 miles at 10 mph, then you can sit for a full hour before moving again.

OP
OP
openroad

openroad

Thanks jefmcg for the advice.I can ride 10 miles comfortably am looking forward to it having never entered a ride like this before.

OP
OP
openroad

openroad

Thanks MikeW-71 my first thoughts when I entered the ride was panic and what have I done,now Iam looking forward to it.

Falco Frank

Über Member
I always used to think it was good to have ridden the full distance before hand to know how it feels but thats not always possible, I know.

I did similar myself, taking on a charity ride, I got up to 40 miles and figured I'd be ok. On the day, it was quite a bit colder than I figured for. Worse still I didnt bring enough food with me (no food stops were provided) and I bonked BIG TIME, just after the 40 mile mark, late Sunday afternoon, NO shops were open at all, no garages either! I made it back but only after some one took pity on me and donated a gel sachet. Back at ride control, hot chocolate and a sausage bun never tasted so good :wahhey:

Good luck.

e-rider

crappy member
On the 31st May The British Heart Foundation have a charity ride in Norwich.You can enter yourself into 25 50 or 100 miles.I have entered myself in for 50 I need to get some miles in on my bike it's a while since I've cycled that distance.Any advice appreciated thanks.
The Norwich 100 (as it's known) is one of the most popular charity events in the country usually attracting 3000+ riders - it started about 15 years ago and is usually a good day out! In recent years though the 100 has developed into a mock race which is a shame - best to avoid getting caught up in that.

Being in Norfolk it is a very flat route with only a few minor hills - this makes it much easier than a similar distance in a hilly region of the country. Some basic training, food, water and some common sense is all that's required for the shorter routes really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In recent years though the 100 has developed into a mock race which is a shame - best to avoid getting caught up in that.
Indeed, there may be some who try to make like that. If anyone refers to a ride as "the race", I let them go off ahead. They may be taking excessive risks and it's not unusual to hear of nasty crashes resulting from some group pretending to be a race peloton and clipping wheels and things like that. There should be emergency numbers for the event, but there's no team cars and medics so it can be a long old wait for them to get to you.

Please, either ride with friends whose riding you know and are willing to trust, or keep a safe stopping distance to the bike in front (and this is more than you think, more than just reaction time: if the rider in front crashes into an immovable obstacle, they will stop instantly).

Koga

You will be fine just cycle at your normal speed and don't worry about a mock race I have not seen many of them and the faster cyclists tend to do the 100 miles in any case so they will leave at a different time and have an additional 50 miles which they don't share with the 50 milers !

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I might look at doing this one this year. I've been meaning too but I need to have a look at the finances first really. I know that it's only £20 but with only me working I am wondering if that £20 might be better spent of frivolities like food, or electricity, rent etc. I'll have a better idea on Tuesday though.

OP
OP
openroad

openroad

I borrowed a specialized vita today but it was hard to get used to. So don't fancy doing 50 miles on it.The police have been great and there is CCTV near the bridge where my bike was stolen so we will see!!

Top Bottom