England : Cambridgeshire Not a Christmas Friday Night ride - 11th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Would a train arriving at Cambridge at 23:51 be OK? There's one arriving fifty minutes earlier but that end of Cambridge is Deadsville and I would rather not waste time around there if I don't have to.

rb58

Enigma
Would a train arriving at Cambridge at 23:51 be OK? There's one arriving fifty minutes earlier but that end of Cambridge is Deadsville and I would rather not waste time around there if I don't have to.
That's the one I'm on, so if there's a chase involved, at least there'll be two of us. Maybe @Flying Dodo could share the route with one of us nearer the time just in case?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FD will have the plans of course, but might not one of these groovy cycle paths actually start at said station?
Out the station, turn left, follow signs alongside the flooding busway to Addenbrookes and one of the groovy cycle tracks starts at the south edge of the hospital site I think, labelled as Route 11.

To see more new stuff and a slightly shorter route, go out the station, turn left, then turn right after the bus stops and left at the lights onto Hills Road but that's only really for academic interest because they've only built part of the northbound cycle track so far and any time you gain from the shorter route is probably stolen back by the traffic lights.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I have some good news and some bad news.

What had been the groovy cycle paths after the hospital aren't quite so groovy now. When I last went along there about 3 years ago, they looked incredible at night as they had lots of LED reflectors along both sides, so as you cycled along, the whole path lit up. Sadly, most of them have now gone. However, a bit further on, there was this:

20151121_005451.jpg

Last night there was a 20 mile stretch of road and I only had 2 vehicles overtake me. And one of those was a gritting truck. There's also other delights such as an abandoned road which they've built electricity pylons on, so you get the rare treat of cycling through a pylon. I know, I'm really spoiling you.

The likely route is shown here.

Please note there is about 4 miles of towpath, of which half is paved. The rest is good quality solid surface, although last night, due to all the recent rain, there were quite a few puddles, so my bike is rather mucky - be warned.

robjh

Legendary Member
I have some good news and some bad news.

What had been the groovy cycle paths after the hospital aren't quite so groovy now. When I last went along there about 3 years ago, they looked incredible at night as they had lots of LED reflectors along both sides, so as you cycled along, the whole path lit up. Sadly, most of them have now gone. However, a bit further on, there was this:

View attachment 110664

Last night there was a 20 mile stretch of road and I only had 2 vehicles overtake me. And one of those was a gritting truck. There's also other delights such as an abandoned road which they've built electricity pylons on, so you get the rare treat of cycling through a pylon. I know, I'm really spoiling you.

The likely route is shown here.

Please note there is about 4 miles of towpath, of which half is paved. The rest is good quality solid surface, although last night, due to all the recent rain, there were quite a few puddles, so my bike is rather mucky - be warned.
I see the mapped route starts from Cambridge station. Would it not be a nice idea to do a quick circuit into town, for those who've just arrived off the train, before heading off for real? King's Parade at night would be worth seeing, and I think that would only add 20 minutes or so to the ride.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I see the mapped route starts from Cambridge station. Would it not be a nice idea to do a quick circuit into town, for those who've just arrived off the train, before heading off for real? King's Parade at night would be worth seeing, and I think that would only add 20 minutes or so to the ride.

Depends upon how many drunken students there are around! We'll see how people feel, but bear in mind it's 70 miles, with a halfway stop before halfway, and some hills after 55 miles.

Top Bottom