O/T School Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

When my eldest left junior school last year I donated a small sum of money which I requested was used for 2 school cups. Whilst I said the final decision was up to the school I indicated that I would be keen for them to be used for the following 1. Competitive sports cup of some sort - they are short on recognising competition and sports and in fact the lack of someone knowing what they are doing has inspired DS1 to be a PE Teacher (I would say in the schools defense that a new regime is in place - 2 male teachers one of whom is a sportsman so hopefully things will change) 2. A cup to be awarded to a child who 'pushes the boundaries' ie. someone who tries that bit harder in something which they would normally shy away from, the idea for this came from the fact that DS1 was adament he did not want to do the year end school play (a sort of high school musical thing) and somehow he ended up being a lead singer (very proud mummy moment as she sung before the days of marriage and children), plus I thought there better be something for the less competitive or I would be accused of not being politically correct.

I was at school tonight and the Headteacher said they are to introduce an interhouse cross country competition each year (DS1 was a whizz at Cross country so very appropriate). Up until now interhouse only happens once a year on sports day. Anyway she asked me (for the umpteenth time) what the cup should be called particularly as she doesn't want to embarrass DS2 who is still at the school

so

DS2 says it should be called

The (DS2name) I hate cross country cup

mummy thinks it should be called

The WWW cup (Willow Wet and Windy cup)

any other cheery thoughts?

The hic cup.

Noodley

The 'In a Few Years Time We'll All Be Rich And Playing Golf in Weather Like This and Think It's Fun' Cup

OP
OP
W

Willow

oxbob said:
How about the could try harder cup for the child that win's everything on sportsday?

like that one.

I remember trying really hard in science one year and still getting a D for effort, didn't bother after that.

How about the 'Cross Any Obstacle Cross Country Cup'?

ChrisKH

Guru
The "Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner" Interhouse Cross Country Cup. ;) You can tell what texts I had at school.

My personal opinion is that the cup should be awarded not to the winner (they're always the same person), but the best house (i.e. team performance) or the most improved runner that year. That way you have a real team drive going on which is what school houses are for IMO or a recognition of personal achievement for that individual who really put themselves out in terms of competing despite not being the best (in line with your OP). Okay, the latter is more subjective but will encourage those who would not otherwise win. The PE teachers know who the latter really are. I'm firmly of the belief that awards of this type inspire people to achieve more than they otherwise would.

Top Bottom