Och aye the noo….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

watchtowergoggs

Hello folks,

I'm Gordon and I'm from Edinburgh.

Used to cycle a lot many years ago as a teenager but I became overweight and very unfit. I was 19.5 stones at my heaviest and started to lose weight about three years ago. Now down to 10 and a bit stone, completed my first ever marathon last May at the grand old age of 34 years old. Managed it in a reasonably respectable time of 4hrs 27mins. I'm about to do another half marathon in September, must be mad!

For my next major challenge, I'm planning to the LEJOG cycle, but having never done any kind of serious long distance cycling before I need to do a bit research and ask some very dumb questions! Farthest I've ever cycled is about 40 miles and that was mainly of canal towpaths. I'm looking to expand my range a bit and hopefully crack 100 mile barrier with some degree of comfort. I'm hoping some kind soul on here might be willing to answer a few questions I have.

Cheers

Gordon

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I hate fit people..
Fat Bob..

nah, :welcome:to you from across the west..
I'll leave it to the long distance mob to answer your questions...

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome all I can say is keep riding a set distance and then once this becomes easy add afew more miles and hey presto you are doing what you want to do ! well thats how I did it lol. Plus if you ask the question someone wil answer you and as to the LEJOG you will find several videos on you tube which may help.

snorri

Legendary Member
You're only 34 man, get out there and do it.
You don't want to get involved in any of this training nonsense, LEJOG is the training, mental and physical, you get cycle fit as you go.:smile:
If you could do 40 miles on a canal towpath, you could manage more on a tarred road, say 50 or 60 miles, so that puts a 20 day LEJOG within your capabilities already.
You will have to decide about overnight stops..... tent, B&B, hostel, hotels, also how you will get to/from LE/JOG.
Just don't get saddled with a "friend" in a support vehicle like these TdF wimps, that just complicates the issue, more things to go wrong:smile:.
Oh and welcome to the forum from another eastcoaster^_^.

Top Bottom