Odd things stolen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, theft is wrong, but there can be a funny side to it on occasions.

Reading another thead on here, where someone said people would steal your back teeth, reminded me of a couple of odd things I heard of being nicked.

The first was a lad I knew that had his teeth stolen in our local.

He was a bit of an oddity anyway that saved money by nicking the lamps out of streetlights back in the days when they used ordinary lamps. It seems he was worried about someone nicking his pint when he went to the toilet, so he dropped his false teeth in it. When he came back, his pint was there, but no dentures.

Another involved an initiative by the local crime prevention team. They sited life size cut out images of Police men in stores to remind thieves they were being watched, and encourage people to be vigilant.

It was stolen very early on its career. To add to the humour side of it, the Police didn't publicise it, as when the same thing happened in another force, the life size cut out appeared all over social media sites, being photographed at loads of different parties, and the Police still couldn't find it.

I'm sure there are some better ones out there.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
When I was a student our house was broken into.

They stole bits and pieces; going through my record/CD collection and taking one item only :wacko: . For info: it was a Wilson Phillips CD - both they and I had no taste in 1990.

Others in the house had strange items taken as well!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had an old doormat stolen from outside the front door. I've had those bungee tie chords stolen when i've hung them on my wing mirror while working as well as quite a few bar towels i've been drying on my car. The best one though was a hairbrush i had stolen from a workplace locker when i used to have bouffanty hair in the 1990's. It was full of dead hairs. Why would anyone want to nick something like that?:scratch:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another involved an initiative by the local crime prevention team. They sited life size cut out images of Police men in stores to remind thieves they were being watched, and encourage people to be vigilant.

It was stolen very early on its career. To add to the humour side of it, the Police didn't publicise it, as when the same thing happened in another force, the life size cut out appeared all over social media sites, being photographed at loads of different parties, and the Police still couldn't find it.

I'm sure there are some better ones out there.

They clearly weren't cut out for the job, were they?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A friend of my sister's was a massive Barry Manilow fan. She came back to her flat one day to find she'd been cleaned out, and I mean cleaned out. They'd taken everything in the flat, right down to curtains and teaspoons. But they'd taken a little care over one important matter - they must have gone through her chaotic record collection painstakingly: there, leaning up against the wall in a corner, in an otherwise totally barren flat, all her Barry Manilow LPs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember reading about a police car being stolen while the officers were investigating a reported crime!

My older sister's house was broken into once. The only thing stolen was a huge glass bottle containing copper coins. Admittedly, the total value of the coins was about £150, but the funny thing was that the thieves had carried the bottle and its heavy contents to an alleyway hundreds of yards away before smashing it and stealing the coins. Copper coins weigh 356g per pound sterling, so the weight of that bottle was well over 50 kg! They got it out of a window, across the garden and over a high fence before carting it down the street to the back alley.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We had an old doormat stolen from outside the front door. I've had those bungee tie chords stolen when i've hung them on my wing mirror while working as well as quite a few bar towels i've been drying on my car. The best one though was a hairbrush i had stolen from a workplace locker when i used to have bouffanty hair in the 1990's. It was full of dead hairs. Why would anyone want to nick something like that?:scratch:

all i can think of is for a DNA sample or for a Voodoo effigy... either way, i'd be worried.

philk56

Guru
I had a tent stolen... while it was up! Many years ago in my student days, on an inter-rail trip with a mate. Camping in Switzerland one evening we went to wash up, started walking back in the dark, with torches, to where we thought the tent was - no tent. After walking round in several circles we realised that those lumps on the ground were our sleeping bags and backpacks but the tent was never seen again :sad:. Camp site manager was distinctly uninterested in helping us and we spent the night sleeping on the washroom floor. Next morning we reported it to the local police who thought it was probably some youths out for a laugh.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had a tent stolen... while it was up! Many years ago in my student days, on an inter-rail trip with a mate. Camping in Switzerland one evening we went to wash up, started walking back in the dark, with torches, to where we thought the tent was - no tent. After walking round in several circles we realised that those lumps on the ground were our sleeping bags and backpacks but the tent was never seen again :sad:. Camp site manager was distinctly uninterested in helping us and we spent the night sleeping on the washroom floor. Next morning we reported it to the local police who thought it was probably some youths out for a laugh.

I remember hearing a story of someone's tent being stolen... Whilst they were still sleeping in it!

The person inside must have been a pretty heavy sleeper, that's all I can say!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember hearing a story of someone's tent being stolen... Whilst they were still sleeping in it!

The person inside must have been a pretty heavy sleeper, that's all I can say!!
With all due apologies for my 'that reminds me of' stories...another favourite from Spike Milligan's war reminiscences was when he and a bunch of mates waited till their brutal, bullying sergeant was drunk & insensible one night, loaded his entire bed onto the back of a flat-bed truck, drove it into the countryside, and left him snoring in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom