Odds against winning UK National Lottery - c. 14,000,000/1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Odds against winning UK National Lottery as of this coming Saturday: 47,338,060/1.

They don't tell you that when they mention the "exciting changes", so I thought I would.

Odds against winning UK National Lottery as of this coming Saturday: 47,338,060/1.

They don't tell you that when they mention the "exciting changes", so I thought I would.
Odds AGAINST winning are 14,000,000/1? Seems like a good deal to me.....

SD1

They never tell us how many tickets the winners bought to win the jackpot. Was it just the one, or are the winners most likely to be gambling addicts who spend 30 quid a week on the stupid things?
Some call it a tax on the poor as they are more likely to do it and spend proportionally more on it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They never tell us how many tickets the winners bought to win the jackpot. Was it just the one, or are the winners most likely to be gambling addicts who spend 30 quid a week on the stupid things?
Most people are not gambling addicts and most of the tickets are bought by them.

Let's say that 50,000,000 tickets were sold in total, 1,000,000 of them to 1,000 addicts who bought 1,000 tickets each, 49,000,000 to non-addicts. The individual addicts have increased their chances of winning from 1 in so many million to 1,000 in so many million, but overall a non-addict is still 49 times more likely to win than an addict!

(I made those numbers up, but you can see what I am getting at.)

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Most people are not gambling addicts and most of the tickets are bought by them.

Let's say that 50,000,000 tickets were sold in total, 1,000,000 of them to 1,000 addicts who bought 1,000 tickets each, 49,000,000 to non-addicts. The individual addicts have increased their chances of winning from 1 in so many million to 1,000 in so many million, but overall a non-addict is still 49 times more likely to win than an addict!

(I made those numbers up, but you can see what I am getting at.)
I think your odds are enhanced if you are over 75, live alone, and have nothing to spend it on but cat food.

At least, that's the way it seems to me. If I fell in a barrel of t1ts, I'd come out sucking my thumb.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think your odds are enhanced if you are over 75, live alone, and have nothing to spend it on but cat food.
It often seems to be someone who loves their house, their job, their car, everything about their lives in fact. They won't let the win change them ... Well, why bother doing the damn lottery then! :wacko:

Which reminds me ... I am going to buy some premium bonds - at least I can get my stake back in the future. (And if I win a million, it WILL change MY life! I will officially retire, and will buy a villa somewhere mountainous and sunny and organise subsidised at-cost cycling holidays for you lot :okay:)

LocalLad

Of course, that's only the odds of winning the jackpot. I believe they're increasing the number of million pound tickets, so you've a better chance of winning a life changing amount

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

It often seems to be someone who loves their house, their job, their car, everything about their lives in fact. They won't let the win change them ... Well, why bother doing the damn lottery then! :wacko:

Which reminds me ... I am going to buy some premium bonds - at least I can get my stake back in the future. (And if I win a million, it WILL change MY life! I will officially retire, and will buy a villa somewhere mountainous and sunny and organise subsidised at-cost cycling holidays for you lot :okay:)
Apparently, nowadays, in order to enjoy what used to be known as "the millionaire lifestyle", one needs a minimum of £12m.

I wouldn't sniff at £1m, obviously, but the only real way it would change my life is in allowing me to pack my job in. I'm not sure I'd be able to bin off work forever.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Of course, that's only the odds of winning the jackpot. I believe they're increasing the number of million pound tickets, so you've a better chance of winning a life changing amount
But how many tickets are sold every week? 40 million or so?

Same odds either way, really.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Chap I used to know never bought a ticket but used to watch the lottery to see if the numbers he'd chosen and written on a bit of paper came up :wacko:. I used to seriously worry about him if they ever did!

Last edited:
Top Bottom