Opinion on tyres for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

San Marco

Hello all
I bought a Genesis Equilibrium 20 earlier in the year as I wanted a comfortable all-rounder and the bike is sold as the ' quintessential four-season UK road bike '. So far, really really happy with it.

I was wondering if any of you has used Continental Grand Sport Race tyres during the winter before. These are the tyres that come with the bike, would they be really a 4-season tyre? Or should I swap for a tried and tested pair of Gatorskins before the winter starts?

Cheers

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
On the grand scheme of things it makes zero difference.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How do you makes no difference, just had a quick look, are you saying they are pretty much the same tyre.
No I'm saying that with the exception of spiked/studded tyres there really is no such thing as a winter tyre for a bicycle. There is nothing special about a tyre that means it can only be used in "winter" and that will render it useless in July

No I'm saying that with the exception of spiked/studded tyres there really is no such thing as a winter tyre for a bicycle. There is nothing special about a tyre that means it can only be used in "winter"
I agree, I just run my Gators all year, no issus last year, mind you we hardly had any ice, and I certainly didn't ride in temps that cold compared wit the year before.
@San Marco as durability I can recommend gatorskins nearly 9,000 miles without a puncture.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same tyres all year round. Generally Conti 4 Seasons or Mich Pro 4 Endurance on my commute. The Contis are a bit tougher, but the Michelins ride better. And the Michelins are much cheaper.

Ok I will spell it out, French suspension is better for modern roads.

Besides I hate German cars, hard ugly things they are.

OP
OP
San Marco

San Marco

Thanks for your responses.

I didn't mean Gatorskins are exclusive for winter. I simply have a spare pair and was thinking should I just swap with the Continental Grand Sport Race (and just leave them throughout), or keep the tyres my bike came with which I've not heard of.

As far as cars go... I drive a rattly 5 year old Citroen Picasso with low miles. My mate has an 04 Audi A4 with 105k miles and nothing rattles inside that car, solid. Picasso has nice curves, Audi is a bit boxy looking. Form over function I guess. But now I want a box.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No I'm saying that with the exception of spiked/studded tyres there really is no such thing as a winter tyre for a bicycle. There is nothing special about a tyre that means it can only be used in "winter" and that will render it useless in July
Maybe not useless, but some tyre compounds perform better in certain temperatures, don't they?

Top Bottom