Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggs

Veteran
Was hoping to get a quick 20-25 miles in the sun today before Mrs D finished work but heading down a country lane, a cat leapt under my front wheel.
Somewhat surprised watching the video, that I only swore twice whilst picking myself up but inwardly I was freaking out with the blood on shoulder and the fact I couldn't move my arm.
Anyhow thanks to my neighbour for picking me up and thanks to our wonderful NHS staff (who have assured me nothing was actually broken). I now have a large collection of bruises, one working arm, plently of roadrash and a significantly longer Christmas list, including replacing my wonderful Torm jersey :sad:

10659255_10152382141726570_2802223561538487787_n.jpg 10406975_10152382257421570_4938098443416671677_n.jpg

Last edited:

DWiggy

Über Member
Ouch! Glad you are ok...ish....how was the cat?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ooch. My bell Helmet looked intact from a recent off, till you looked hard. Outer had a slight dent, but it had split underneath. The carbon undershell held it together but I had head first ploughed into the road.

Bought another, as there are too many suicidal squirrels and cat sized rats on my new route !

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
Thanks all , was just getting stressed as we're supposed to be going away soon after having to cancel our summer hols.
The bike appears ok, crud roadracers are gone, flat tyre, bars need straightening. Mrs D has banned me from looking/lifting etc (hosp orders), so I'll check when she's at work tomorrow. ;) Night of painkillers and catching up on sky+ methinks

DWiggy

Über Member
It does look like the lid took a bit of a kick in, better that than your head (to the anti helmet crew, don't hate me)
Ps: speedy recovery

OP
OP
Diggs

Diggs

Veteran
It does look like the lid took a bit of a kick in, better that than your head (to the anti helmet crew, don't hate me)
Ps: speedy recovery
Fair point and without kicking of the debate, that is the one "slowmotion" bit I remember as my helmet hit the ground - You can see the impression of the helmet on my head - The nurse in the hospital loved that!

fossyant

If nowt's broken, keep moving within limits and pain killers. I was back to my GP as had breathing difficulties - busted ribs and right lung not inflating as couldn't breath without pain - took pain killers. Not using lungs will bring in infection !!!!

Gentle movements, keep stretching. It makes recovery better. I was back on my bike within 2 weeks - car driving to work makes you go crazy !

PS we all have the 'issues' with family. Had my wife, kids, sisters and work colleagues tell me to stop. I changed my route ! I'm better off fit and healthy with bumps and grazes (and the odd broken bone) than an old slob and next for a heart attack !

fossyant

Fair point and without kicking of the debate, that is the one "slowmotion" bit I remember as my helmet hit the ground - You can see the impression of the helmet on my head - The nurse in the hospital loved that!

I've raced in previous years, so got used to the 'you have to wear one' - I was around when the mushroom lid rules came in from the hairnet road rash ones.

I wear mine to keep the 'boss' happy. I've never really needed it - I've got a great way of keeping cool with helmets that I couldn't get with nothing, sweat bands or caps, and it works (skull cap and a modern helmet) - no drips on my glasses.

BUT the last two knock off's my head has hit the road first. First one was helmet grinding on the road after a car hit me side on - main impact was shoulder, but it saved me from road rash.

This one was head first into the road, then shoulder and right ribs. Other than a head ache, stiff neck and broken ribs, the A&E dismissed me straight away.

But that's my riding style - I ride quick, drivers may or may not anticipate speed. I don't wear helmets on a family ride !

It's about choice. I use ones I like and keep me "sweat in the eye" free !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Glad it wasn't too bad.

I am not of the helmet brigade. But it certainly looks like your lid paid its way in this tumble.

Top Bottom