Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You have heard that it was said, "it is unwise to wear flappy shorts when cycling on a recumbent."

It is true.

A wasp flew up my leg and stung me twice on the back of the thigh before I could get it out. Ouch!

Fortunately today's ride wasn't all doom and gloom as I saw a white velomobile trike and a recumbent bike going the other way!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ow..ow..ow.........does it hurt ? I've never been stung in 39 years - scared they are....or is it me ??

PaulB

Legendary Member
I got stang off a wasp yesterday when I had just broken my speed record (80.2 KPH) on the downhill to Skipton. I felt a couple of nips at first and when I was able to look down, there was a wasp curled up, unable to move, nestling in my groinal area. Had it stang an inch higher, it wouldn't have mattered as the "nappy" cushioning of my bib shorts would have protected the crown jewels but it got me on the upper thigh. The brakes eventually took hold and I was able to look down and saw there was an external bladder-like structure protruding from the neter regions of my stinger. Thereafter, my thigh throbbed like a nagging toothache. Narsty it was.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've never been stung before by a wasp (only a bee) so wasn't sure what to expect. It's not as bad as I might have thought, judging by other peoples' reactions when wasps arrive at a picnic, but it's a bit irritating now as it's right where I sit down.

Will wear the lycra shorts in future.

Renard

I remember seeing a couple of guys on recumbents a couple of years ago and me and my pal were joking about their 'waspcatchers'. Helen's experience has brought the legend to life! :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Two things to know about wasp stings:

1 - They can sometimes inject bacteria (they do enjoy crap food) under your skin so if the sweling stays hot and red for more than 24 hours see a Dr for some antibiotics.

2 - If you happen to have a syringe and you're quick you can press the nozzle over the entry hole and suck out the venom. I did it last summer for my son.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
If you happen to have a syringe and you're quick you can press the nozzle over the entry hole and suck out the venom. I did it last summer for my son.

Funnily enough a syringe is the one thing I'd forgotten to take with me;) The sting now is as itchy as an itchy thing and no amount of scratching will relieve it. It's driving me mad, actually!

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Aperitif said:
Isn't Avon 'Skin So Soft' skin moisturiser supposed to be the antidote to midges?

Its the bath & body oil and it works-I spray my horse with it and it keeps the flies off him:biggrin:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well it's still quite ouch and impressively red... also feels very hot. I am sitting with my legs crossed so the relevant bit of thigh isn't on the seat so I look a bit peculiar. At least on my cycle ride today it wasn't touching the seat.

We have hunted high and low for our Anthisan and failed to find it so have used savlon and a German Azaron-stift (which we bought years ago) in the hopes that they will help.

I think this is my first cycling injury - 15 months and 9000 miles on a recumbent!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Few weeks ago on a ride I got stung on the top of my head when a bee flew into my helmet.. Luckily I was wearing my CC buff which stopped the bee have a right old drilling sesion. Someone had some athletes foot cream (?), put some of that on the sting which worked wonders.