Over 80 !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonRob

Im thinking of getting back on a bike after long layoff....I am near to a good cycle path well away from traffic..any thoughts please or am I just mad ?

vickster

Legendary Member
You're not mad at all. Maybe an electric bike would work if concerned about fitness :smile: then you can pedal or use the motor as the mood takes you! There's a bit of the forum dedicated to electric bikes, someone will be able to help you out with models, what to look for and the like

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/electric-bikes.159/

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
I suppose you realise that you are "over 80" until you are 90?
It seems to me that 70 is the new 40 so you are just past your prime Gordon.
Aim to get to the end of your road and back on your first trip, then head for the cycle path, have a bag on your bike to accommodate a flask of tea and some munchies and stop along the way.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I'd say go for it. Just take it easy. Recognise what you are able to do and what you are not able to do and work within those parameters. Have fun, enjoy yourself. And good luck.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Like others have said, you are never too old. Have a word with your doctor first for a check up.

Mrs M

Guru
My lovely neighbours are 83 and 84.
They keep active and are always on the go.
Out this weekend celebrating their 64th anniversary :smile:
Very keen cyclists in younger days and think their attitude and active lifestyle keep them young at heart :bicycle: :okay:

Doug.

Veteran
Gordon.

Don't fart around with a cycle..............buy a motor cycle.
Lots more fun !!

I enjoy cycling ....but motor cycling is so much more pleasurable......one need not worry about steep hills .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mustn't overdo it at your age. A friend of mine eventually gave up caving in his late eighties, though I do recall a caving trip when he was only a bit over 80 with a couple of (very much) younger chaps and myself. "can I come" he said, "yes of course" I replied - the two youngsters (late 20s) gave me a bit of a questioning look but said nothing. The older gentleman grumbled all through the trip "it's rubbish being old" "this is as much as I can manage these days" and so forth. At the end of the trip we emerged into daylight as he strode off still grumbling. One of the twenty year olds sat down for a while to get his breath back, whilst the other collapsed in a heap. I knew that would happen !

And look up Monsieur Marchand - he limits himself to 100km days given his age.

Mandragora

My 78 year old mum cycles three or four times a week - she goes at her own pace, and she avoids windy days because it tires her too much (she has diabetes and an unrelated 'blood condition' both of which can make her run out of energy very suddenly). I'd definitely say that traffic free would be a great choice to start with. Do you still have a bike? If not, or if you're looking to get a newer one, you might want to consider a 'step through' style. It makes getting onto the bike much easier as hips and other joints begin to lose flexibility.

All the best to you, and let us know how you get on!

Top Bottom