Packaging Craziness !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
1477135746672.jpg
I ordered an "out of stock" item from Tool Station.
The item (a door lock) is on the right. The BIG box is what it was posted in. The lock only cost £6.50......no idea what the postage cost them.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That's just wrong

It was in stock ........ :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
Years ago I ordered a Lumotec halogen headlamp from Rose bikes and this tiny lightweight item came in a box that must have been at least 14" square with enough bubble wrap to reach to the moon.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Postage is generally by weight, so the big box won't cost more than a small one. For truly crazy packaging, try dolls like the Monster High ones. Every tiny little bit is strapped down with what seems like adamantium kevlar bonded cable ties, and you need a frickin laser to get in the box in the first place!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's cheaper for large distribution places to stock less box sizes but with big gaps in each size so that they cover all their merchandise.

Also, it's quicker. When stock pickers are picking thousands of items per day, a few seconds saved deciding on the right box size adds up over time.

It's good business, though environmentally bad.

screenman

Legendary Member
View attachment 148741
I ordered an "out of stock" item from Tool Station.
The item (a door lock) is on the right. The BIG box is what it was posted in. The lock only cost £6.50......no idea what the postage cost them.

The same price as it would have been without the box, check Royal Mail who I use a lot with my mail order business and you will see how big you can go for the same price as a small package.

I also re-use all boxes that come in with deliveries.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The same price as it would have been without the box, check Royal Mail who I use a lot with my mail order business and you will see how big you can go for the same price as a small package.

I also re-use all boxes that come in with deliveries.
Interesting......I thought it was a combination of weight and size.

classic33

Leg End Member
Postage is generally by weight, so the big box won't cost more than a small one. For truly crazy packaging, try dolls like the Monster High ones. Every tiny little bit is strapped down with what seems like adamantium kevlar bonded cable ties, and you need a frickin laser to get in the box in the first place!
Just a bit of know how. Trade secret.

ayceejay

Guru
On the other hand if you get an item damaged due to insufficient packaging this is not funny, Amazon will take it back no problem but some companies won't (see my thread on Velodrome Shop)

screenman

Legendary Member
Interesting......I thought it was a combination of weight and size.

Weight does indeed come into it, but size matter with the lighter things.

Length: 35.3cm Width: 25cm Thickness up toand including: 2.5cm Weight limit: 750g
Letters
not exceeding: Length: 24cm Width: 16.5cm Thickness up to and including: 0.5cm Weight limit: 100g

Small Parcels not exceeding: Length: 45cm Width: 35cm Depth: 16cm Weight limit: 2kg

Medium Parcels not exceeding: Length: 61cm Width: 46cm Depth: 46cm Weight limit: 20kg

Large Parcels not exceeding: 1.5m length and 3m length and girth combined. Weight limit: 30kg.

This is Royal Mail

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bonkers isn't it. Recently had a keyboard and mouse sent for my daughter. The outer box was perfect, but opened the inner box, and it was dented and ripped apart on one side, with a damaged mouse inside. Someone had packed the product box in that condition.

The micro SD or mini USB stick packaging are usually the worst. Huge box, tiny product

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Totally the other end of the spectrum. I bought a tyre from Evans and it was posted with just the shipping lable stick to it. No packaging at all.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Got a pair of overshoes and a set of back up button cell lights from Planet X this week.

The lights were wrapped inside the overshoes (so far so good), which were then wrapped in nearly a full roll of sellotape and put in a jiffy bag. Seriously, I have never seen so much sellotape on one package.

Top Bottom