Packing bike with Hydraulic disc brakes (urgent) advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am just about to pack a bike with Hydraulic Disc brakes for transport in a plane. I just realised that I may need to put a plastic bit to prevent brake tighten and lead fluid.
Can I put any plastic there?
Will it just do the job?

13 rider

Guru
Folded cardboard or anything to fill the gap between pads incase the levers are pressed during transit

Sixmile

Veteran
Indeed, I ended up buying fork spacers with an attached bleed block for our trips on the plane as I was worried about the forks being bent/crushed after seeing how the baggage handlers handled my well packed box 1st time around. They had chucked it on the luggage trailer then piled the suitcases about 6 high on top of my box. Now bearing in mind most cases are 20-25kg, that's alot of weight.

I have actually come to the conclusion that it may be better to not pack your bike well at all. Our boxes were neat, tidy, compact and easily liftable and stackable. The dutch folk who were also on our flight did diddly squat to their bikes before they took them to outsized baggage which meant they had to be individually moved carefully onto the luggage cart and lifted gently on to the plane with nothing being able to be set on them with handlebars about and cranks spinning around.

Top Bottom