Paging CC Ecosse - Mull and Moidart rides, first week of Sept, 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am half-Scottish ... I have never actually lived in Scotland, but I got half my genes from my mum who came from the Oban area, and half from my dad who came from the English Midlands. He met her when he was stationed in Scotland early in WWII.

Anyway, my sisters and I like to get up to see the Scottish side of the family when we can and will be going up again at the start of September. The last time I went up was in 2014 and I did a couple of rides which I would like to repeat this time.

The first ride was intended to be a circuit of Mull but I got a tummy bug which distracted me to the extent that I managed to head for the Iona ferry instead of going up the west side of the island! In the end I had to cut across the mid-point of the island to get back to Craignure in time for the last ferry to Oban. I intend to do the proper route this time and have pencilled in Saturday, 3rd September for that. [My 2014 ride report]

The second route was a 100 mile ride from Fort William out along the A830 as far as Lochailort, then a magnificent clockwise loop round through Strontian to Drumsallie and then back along the A830 to Fort William. I loved most of the route, but felt that I could do without the traffic on the A830. It struck me that Fort William could be cut out by taking the Corran ferry across Loch Linnhe then doing the original route clockwise back round to Corran again. That would only involve 22 km on the A830 and 105 km of wonderful almost traffic-free roads. There is car parking on the A82 side of the loch and cyclists can travel free on the ferry! I have pencilled in Tuesday, 6th September for that ride. [My 2014 ride report]

I am mentioning this now so you can try to keep those days free if you fancy joining me. Obviously, plans can change, and if the weather were really awful on either or both of those days then I would postpone or cancel the rides. I only have Fri 2nd - Wed 7th available though so there is not a lot of room for manoeuvre.

If you are interested, make a note in your diaries and post below! :okay:

Last edited:

Col5632

Guru

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I realise that it might mean a long journey from (say) Glasgow or Edinburgh but they are splendid routes so worth the effort if the weather turns out as nice as it was when I did similar rides in 2014. OTOH, my cousin who lives up there says that the local weather so far this year has been pretty grim ... I won't do the rides in bad weather, but hopefully I/we will be lucky.

My cousin is coming down to do the Tour de Yorkshire sportive with me in a couple of weeks time and I will ask him then if he will be free to do the Mull and/or the Corran rides.

Transport is no problem for the Mull ride because I can easily cycle to the ferry terminal in Oban. There is currently a slight question mark over the Corran ride though. I don't fancy doing an extra 100 km up and down the A828/A82 if I can't get a lift with my bike from my cousin, a friend, or a family member.

Good luck to you Colin, know the area well, some excellent riding up there and indeed further north. So far North in fact that all the signs say 'To the South'^_^
I will be enjoying the sun and very quiet roads of the Massif Centrale in France, I'll think of you and hope it's not too 'driesh'.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good luck to you Colin, know the area well, some excellent riding up there and indeed further north. So far North in fact that all the signs say 'To the South'^_^
I will be enjoying the sun and very quiet roads of the Massif Centrale in France, I'll think of you and hope it's not too 'driesh'.
Thanks. I have never been much north of Fort William, but would like to do a circuit of the far north one day.

'To the South', the opposite of 'Hatfield and the North'!

Route_A1.jpg

Have fun in France! (That's another place that I haven't been to, and would love to cycle round one day.)

fimm

Veteran
<pedant mode>
Driech, not driesh.
(The "ch" as in loch, so you pronounce it a bit like driesh...)
</pedant mode>

Both of those cycles look lovely, Colin, I hope you have a good time.

Fubar

Guru
I am half-Scottish ... I have never actually lived in Scotland, but I got half my genes from my mum who came from the Oban area, and half from my dad who came from the English Midlands. He met her when he was stationed in Scotland early in WWII.

Anyway, my sisters and I like to get up to see the Scottish side of the family when we can and will be going up again at the start of September. The last time I went up was in 2014 and I did a couple of rides which I would like to repeat this time.

The first ride was intended to be a circuit of Mull but I got a tummy bug which distracted me to the extent that I managed to head for the Iona ferry instead of going up the west side of the island! In the end I had to cut across the mid-point of the island to get back to Craignure in time for the last ferry to Oban. I intend to do the proper route this time and have pencilled in Saturday, 3rd September for that. [My 2014 ride report]

The second route was a 100 mile ride from Fort William out along the A830 as far as Lochailort, then a magnificent clockwise loop round through Strontian to Drumsallie and then back along the A830 to Fort William. I loved most of the route, but felt that I could do without the traffic on the A830. It struck me that Fort William could be cut out by taking the Corran ferry across Loch Linnhe then doing the original route clockwise back round to Corran again. That would only involve 22 km on the A830 and 105 km of wonderful almost traffic-free roads. There is car parking on the A82 side of the loch and cyclists can travel free on the ferry! I have pencilled in Tuesday, 6th September for that ride. [My 2014 ride report]

I am mentioning this now so you can try to keep those days free if you fancy joining me. Obviously, plans can change, and if the weather were really awful on either or both of those days then I would postpone or cancel the rides. I only have Fri 2nd - Wed 7th available though so there is not a lot of room for manoeuvre.

If you are interested, make a note in your diaries and post below! :okay:

Hi Colin, somehow managed to miss this even though @Col5632 tagged me! what's your intended speed for 3 September ride and how tough is it? I am somewhat slow this year and haven't done much over 100k so far! Don't want to either hold you up or totally show myself up, and would probably need to look at accommodation etc.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, somehow managed to miss this even though @Col5632 tagged me! what's your intended speed for 3 September ride and how tough is it? I am somewhat slow this year and haven't done much over 100k so far! Don't want to either hold you up or totally show myself up, and would probably need to look at accommodation etc.
The speed will be slowish and steady, but we would have to be back in Craignure in good time to catch the last ferry back to Oban. I'll get back to you once I have worked out the details. :okay:

Fubar

Guru
The speed will be slowish and steady, but we would have to be back in Craignure in good time to catch the last ferry back to Oban. I'll get back to you once I have worked out the details. :okay:

Cool, I've put the thread on "watch" so will duck back in for updates.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am just upgrading my laptop from Win XP to Win 7 so there will be a short period of upheaval while I reinstall software lost in the transition. That includes Memory Map, which I use for plotting all my rides. I hope to have the system pretty much updated over the next couple of days and will check distances, hilliness, and shortcut options for the Mull ride once the mapping software is available again.

Fubar

Guru
I am just upgrading my laptop from Win XP to Win 7 so there will be a short period of upheaval while I reinstall software lost in the transition. That includes Memory Map, which I use for plotting all my rides. I hope to have the system pretty much updated over the next couple of days and will check distances, hilliness, and shortcut options for the Mull ride once the mapping software is available again.

Nae Rush :okay:

Fubar

Guru
Thought I'd be crafty @ColinJ and have a sneaky peek at your 50k challenge rides in an attempt to suss out your speeds - you don't flingin flangin post em, do you?!? Dang. :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thought I'd be crafty @ColinJ and have a sneaky peek at your 50k challenge rides in an attempt to suss out your speeds - you don't flingin flangin post em, do you?!? Dang. :laugh:
Ha ha - no, I don't. I am fairly slow but to just say "I averaged 16 kph/10 mph" (whatever) would sound worse than it is, because you should really take into account the amount of climbing I do on most rides.

The first ferry from Oban to Mull on Saturdays gets to Craignure at 08:35 and there is one back at 18:20. It would be good to aim to get back in time for that one. (If we didn't make it then we would have the last ferry back at 19:30 in reserve.)

The full loop through Tobermory is 137 km/85 miles so if we did that we would have to average slightly more than 15 kph/9 mph overall. I typically average just over that speed on hillier rides than the Mull loop so I think I would be okay aiming for that.

I'm tempted to head down Glen Aros from Dervaig and bypass Tobermory. It would be a slightly shorter route and significantly less hilly. I'd be happy to go either way though.

Mull alternatives.png

Top Bottom