Pain in the drivetrain...!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Midlifecyclist

I've just renewed most of my drivetrain components on my 2 year old Planet X RT 58 Alloy.

The chain and cassette are like for like replacements but the front chainrings on the FSA Gossamer Compact BB386 EVO Chainset 175mm 50-34T are now SHIMANO TIAGRA CHAINRINGS 34 + 50t, 110BCD, the same number of teeth as the previous FSA chainrings.

I'm now having a nightmare getting it to run smoothly, the chain seems to chatter near the bottom jockey wheel on the Shimano Tiagra RD-4601 Rear Mech and it almost looks like the chain doesn't sit snug in the jockey wheels.

Could I have bought old Tiagra chainrings that aren't 10 speed compatible?

Bit baffled and have reduced to throwing tools and swearing :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Tim Hall

Even if it were the chain rings that are wrong, I can't see how they'll affect the chain sitting on the jockey wheels. You have threaded the chain correctly through the rear mech haven't you. Only a complete wally would put the chain the wrong side of the tab on the cage, resulting in noisy operation. You'd never catch me doing that, oh no, honest guv.

D

Deleted member 1258

Even if it were the chain rings that are wrong, I can't see how they'll affect the chain sitting on the jockey wheels. You have threaded the chain correctly through the rear mech haven't you. Only a complete wally would put the chain the wrong side of the tab on the cage, resulting in noisy operation. You'd never catch me doing that, oh no, honest guv.

Your not alone with that one. :blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've just renewed most of my drivetrain components on my 2 year old Planet X RT 58 Alloy.

The chain and cassette are like for like replacements but the front chainrings on the FSA Gossamer Compact BB386 EVO Chainset 175mm 50-34T are now SHIMANO TIAGRA CHAINRINGS 34 + 50t, 110BCD, the same number of teeth as the previous FSA chainrings.

I'm now having a nightmare getting it to run smoothly, the chain seems to chatter near the bottom jockey wheel on the Shimano Tiagra RD-4601 Rear Mech and it almost looks like the chain doesn't sit snug in the jockey wheels.

Could I have bought old Tiagra chainrings that aren't 10 speed compatible?

Bit baffled and have reduced to throwing tools and swearing :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Whats your B screw adjustment like? How worn are the jockey wheels? Have they sent you the right chain?

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment#article-section-5

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Only a fool would do that :blush:

OP
OP
M

Midlifecyclist

Thanks for your input folks...

Chain seems to be threaded correctly and B screw seems OK.

I went out on a test ride and it rode well except it was clattering badly on the extremities of the gears. I know you shouldn't ride big chainring to big cassette cog but it seems much noisier than I remember from before.

The other thing I noticed was that with the chain on the big rear cog and the small front chainring, when the chain feeds into the bottom jockey wheel of the derailleur as the jockey wheel rolls forward the teeth catche the inner joining plate of the chainlink slightly before the chain flicks slightly outwards and seats onto the jockey wheel.

Hard one to explain!

OP
OP
M

Midlifecyclist

Have you done anything with the rear mech?

Not that I'm aware of! I did a 40 miler on the bike last Sunday and then did the rebuild on Monday. No crashes or issues on the Sunday ride, just felt after two years the bike was in need of a new drivetrain.

The jockey wheels are square, so not that worn I guess! I might just bite the bullet and buy a new rear mech.

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_185135.jpg
    IMG_20160504_185135.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
M

Midlifecyclist

OK, new Shimano 105 RD-5701 Rear Mech Road Short Cage 10 Speed ordered for £19.99.

As the rear mech is the only key part of may drivetrain that hasn't been replaced lets see if this cures my niggles!

D

Deleted member 1258

Not that I'm aware of! I did a 40 miler on the bike last Sunday and then did the rebuild on Monday. No crashes or issues on the Sunday ride, just felt after two years the bike was in need of a new drivetrain.

The jockey wheels are square, so not that worn I guess! I might just bite the bullet and buy a new rear mech.

Are you sure the chain is the right one? In the picture it looks like its too wide and catching the cage.

Top Bottom