Paint stripping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Further to my thread in the reviews about Nitromors and the recommendations to use wallpaper paste and caustic soda, how long does one leave the concoction on the frame to work? The wallpaper paste/caustic certainly stick to the metalwork well but I suppose if it didn't it wouldn't be called paste!

DSCN0460_zpsfd47eeef.jpg

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Good job, better than my efforts anyhow.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Bathroom vinyl, definately vinyl, because it is waterproof.

The caustic soda concoction has worked up to a point. It didn't actually remove or bubble the paint but when I washed it off and then used wet or dry sanding pads on the frame the paint came off very easily. There are still a few bits, so will re-coat tomorrow then hopefully that will be it. Soon be time to start priming, then decide what colour I want. I quite fancy emerald green. Do they do vinyl paper in that?^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
Blow torch and a good strong wire brush can be your friend when stripping a frame. Or £10 for a shot blast.

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
I always grit blast, leaves a perfect finish ready to paint straight away, no chemicals to wash off and therefore allow the steel to start to rust. Downside is the bearing surfaces need to be really well covered, and all the grit has to be blown out of the interior, don't want sand dropping into the new bearings. I agree with the blow torch method, but not too hot eh ^_^

Top Bottom