Paris-Brest, not the race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The cake

Here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris–Brest

Hi

Well after 5 years being single I think this lady is the one, though Ive always said I'm happy being single

It's early days yet, only two weeks in though we really do get on even though we don't have much in common, though I think thats always best.

The lady is from Nantes West of France, doesnt like cycling or have any interest in the bicycle racing unfortunately

We was having a conversation last night about our favorite foods and Simone said her favorite cake was a Paris-Brest, The one cycling event I need crossing off my bucket list, So Im having a go at making one in my kitchen sometime soon

Pictures will follow

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So Im having a go at making one in my kitchen sometime soon
Have the fire extinguisher handy :tongue:

When will we be meeting her?

Good luck with that! Irresistible when one's nose is pressed against the patissier's window!
To see the beauty of this 'cycling object', and for a bit of Friday fun, listen to the intro and ending of the person making a Paris-Texas a la méthod Firestone, and then follow the simplicity of the Atelier version...I prefer my Brests smaller as in the second video. Forget the porridge for breakfast and break out the Nutella..."Aux foures citoyens!" et bonjour Simone! :smile:

La-Patisserie_1.jpg

pc3a2tisserie.jpg

:hungry:

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Good luck with that! Irresistible when one's nose is pressed against the patissier's window!
To see the beauty of this 'cycling object', and for a bit of Friday fun, listen to the intro and ending of the person making a Paris-Texas a la méthod Firestone, and then follow the simplicity of the Atelier version...I prefer my Brests smaller as in the second video. Forget the porridge for breakfast and break out the Nutella..."Aux foures citoyens!" et bonjour Simone! :smile:

La-Patisserie_1.jpg

pc3a2tisserie.jpg

:hungry:

Congrats on your new found love.

A couple of points of order. Paris-Brest-Paris is not race. It was once, but for a long time it's been an randonneur. Paris Brest is not a cake, it's a pastry.

Good luck with your kitchen endeavours. Choux pastry is one of the easier pastries, I think, though I have only made simpler things, like eclairs with it.

Oh, one Gateaux St Honore - though now I google it, it was more of a croquembouche.

Congrats on your new found love.

A couple of points of order. Paris-Brest-Paris is not race. It was once, but for a long time it's been an randonneur. Paris Brest is not a cake, it's a pastry.

Good luck with your kitchen endeavours. Choux pastry is one of the easier pastries, I think, though I have only made simpler things, like eclairs with it.

Oh, one Gateaux St Honore - though now I google it, it was more of a croquembouche.
And I might know that as a pièce montée...it was probably very nice but, ultimately, left a bad taste in my mouth. :rolleyes:
Paris-Brest is a nice cake, but difficult to eat walking along the road...unlike a millefeuille (emphasis on the mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) which is 'a piece of cake'...just turn it through 90° and bite away! :smile:

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Well the afternoons day in the kitchen was a complete disaster

I did a main African dish using Shito sauce with chicken rice

It is what it says on the tin, Im not exaggerating here, Shito sauce if the most disgusting taste/smell you'll ever experience

Me and Simane fell ill afterwards, Simane was physically sick and I nearly honked while doing the dishes

DSC_0023.JPG

The choux pastry was going really well and had risen to half its size after baking, though I think I know where I went wrong next......
I left it on the baking tray and put it in the cupboard instead of transferring it onto a cooling rack

I came back to it a hour later and it had completely collapsed into what looked like uncooked pastry :sad:

DSC_0024.JPG

As you can see here, the almond butter creme also failed, though I had no mixer or sugar thermometer, I thought 20/30 minutes by hand with the whisk would cut it, though not, it just wouldnt fluff up enough

DSC_0025.JPG

So after being physically sick, we did laugh afterwards :smile:

I'm not giving up on this cake!

A food mixer and sugar thermometer is on my shopping list, I will make one thats edible :smile:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, images aren't working.

I'm in Nigeria at the mo and some of their dried fish dishes are quite simply nauseating. I stick with Gulder beer and South African steak.

Top Bottom