Paris Roubaix - Spoilers be here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If I didn't know Wiggo was involved today I would have been able to guess just from the number of non-cycling friends commenting on the race on Facebook. Most of them have probably never even heard of Paris-Roubaix before.

I'm not complaining though - whatever anyone thinks of him, he's been a great ambassador for cycling. I suspect British interest in the sport will dwindle back to former levels once he retires for good.

just jim

If I didn't know Wiggo was involved today I would have been able to guess just from the number of non-cycling friends commenting on the race on Facebook. Most of them have probably never even heard of Paris-Roubaix before.

I'm not complaining though - whatever anyone thinks of him, he's been a great ambassador for cycling. I suspect British interest in the sport will dwindle back to former levels once he retires for good.
A good point, worthy of a topic on it's own. I'm not certain who is able to fill his MSM shoes in the fickle world of pro-cycling...

The Couch

Über Member
By the way, if anybody here would have predicted top 10 finishes for Elmiger in both the RvV and PR, I would have laughed very hard at that person
Now... I would take my hat off for anybody who would have even mentioned his name as "watch-out for him this year" :blush:

Pretty impressive from him (wasn't Chavanel supposed to be their leader for this work?), he basically only did worse than Kristoff, Degenkolb, Van Avermaet, Stybar and Boom across "the cobblestone double-weekend" :eek:
Not bad for a 36 year old guy who hasn't done much better than a 17th place in any of these 2 races in the past 5 seasons

I wonder if he can take this form into the Amstel Gold race (which one would expect to fit his - historic - rider profile better)?

A picture of two from yesterday.

Sky team bikes get final preparation. Gary Blem was putting stickers on the top tube listing the cobble sections.

P1000212 (2).jpg

Wiggins looking good on the first section of cobles at Inchy. Sky well in control at this point.
wiggins at Inchy.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Re Elmiger...

I hate to be cynical, but I'm a bit wary of these ageing veterans and their Indian summers. (Aside: the top three in the Swiss national champs road race last year have a combined age over 100.)

Anyway, yes, he's done well. I shall suspend my disbelief and congratulate him - at least until he wins the Vuelta...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Re Elmiger...

I hate to be cynical, but I'm a bit wary of these ageing veterans and their Indian summers. (Aside: the top three in the Swiss national champs road race last year have a combined age over 100.)

To be fair, it's more likely that older riders would do well in a race like this, where sheer strength and stamina matter most, more so than in a GT.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
To be fair, I'd be more suspicious if he'd actually won anything!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Has anyone mentioned the desire of the TGV peeps to have some cyclists prosecuted for jumping the level crossing?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/32284180

Seems a bit harsh, they are racing and cannot be expected to make rational decisions, or be beholden to road law, since they are so used to racing in special conditions, surely?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I bet they would be able to manage to ensure no trains were coming if the president or some other bigwig was passing through, they should do the same for races as big as this!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
The race organiser quoted in the article is being a bit disingenuous. Some riders couldn't stop in time. Many probably could and should have but didn't. Some riders skipped over the crossing AFTER first stopping then obviously thinking, "f*ck it, I'm going for it".

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I don't think we should expect riders in such races to be in the mindset of obeying the normal road laws...

Top Bottom