Paris World Cup Track (Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Can we get a spoiler alert on this so we can discuss, please?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
(cough) men's team sprint (cough)

Anyway, I was looking forward to an in depth discussion on lycra.

oldroadman

Veteran
(cough) men's team sprint (cough)

Anyway, I was looking forward to an in depth discussion on lycra.
Didn't quite fire properly for all three riders, did it? Now a weak link is not affordable, so maybe it's time for some "compassionate ruthlessness" (copyright Dave B) to be exercised. There's enough people lining up for a place to keep serious pressure on non-deliverers. Team pursuiters look in good shape though, and there's still 18 months until Rio, which is where we get maximum attention. And it appears, sports funding at elite level depends on Olympic results and not much else - very short sighted approach, but there you are.

Mr.Si

Was watching it this evening. Good Job Australia (women), shame that Team GB (women) didn't cut it tonight though in the team pursuit. It's making interesting watching as I've never really seen it before. TV to myself means that I can actually watch it without feeling guilty

Slaav

Veteran
Watching the Fab Four girls get well beaten got me thinking..... (Always dangerous :smile:)

From the commentary, GB were bang on their schedule at times and it seemed as though that schedule was WR pace. So when the 'spotter' stands right on the mark, indicating bang on, what are the girls to do? Ignore him and ramp it up? Bearing in mind that they can't see the clock sufficiently and need to be guided by the 'spotter'?

Strategy fail? Or did the Australians simply raise the bar in a relatively new event based on what they THOUGHT could be done based on training and smashed through the mental ceiling imposed on the girls from the coaches?

Or do we now need to concede that our girls are simply not fast enough? :smile:

By my question, I think my own view is clear....

atbman

Veteran
Don't know if it was camera angle, but when Aussis were standing around afterwards, they looked physically bigger and stronger. Knocking over 3 seconds off a world record set at altitude looks a bit ominous for the future to me.

zizou

Veteran
The GB women might have been dominating the pursuit (up until yesterday at least) but they've been doing so in a very "messy" way - they haven't looked a particularly well drilled unit. From the outside looking in the problem is not just related to the weakest rider in the four but how one of the two strongest riders is riding the event. That was more evident in Cali than in Paris though.

The mens sprint seem to be miles off the pace, individually and collectively. Perhaps they are in the middle of a training block but i think it is more than that as alot of other countries have also really made the step up in the last couple of years.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
It seemed to me the GB women did a good ride considering the changing squad they've had, and rode to schedule - after all they set a WR pace - but the Aussies just smashed it; they were bigger, stronger and much more together. I can't help feeling the GB squad are missing Dani King as well.

There's a big problem in the men's sprint somewhere, it's just not going right. @oldroadman is right though, there is strength in depth and 18 months left.

Top Bottom