Passport, what information does it store

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am in the process of applying for a Russian visa. I would be grateful for your help with following 2 questions.

It asks me what type of passport do I have? Any idea? In the passport it says, P, type.

It asks me what countries have I visited and when? I have visited more than 10 countries but I can't remember all the dates. When you travel to Europe, they won't stamp your passport. So no way to remember.
I feel like just listing few.
Can the Russian find out where have I been by scanning my passport?

classic33

Leg End Member
I am in the process of applying for a Russian visa. I would be grateful for your help with following 2 questions.

It asks me what type of passport do I have? Any idea? In the passport it says, P, type.

It asks me what countries have I visited and when? I have visited more than 10 countries but I can't remember all the dates. When you travel to Europe, they won't stamp your passport. So no way to remember.
I feel like just listing few.
Can the Russian find out where have I been by scanning my passport?
It would appear to be yes
"Nowadays, they also look up your details on their computer, which is tied into a central national registry (or in the case of EU, Schengen-wide) in one or more of the following ways: 1) typing in passport number and/or other info, 2) [optically] scanning MRZ characters on data page, 3) [electronically] scanning RFID chip embedded in front cover. In any case, this will reveal if you've ever been to that country before, and if you've overstayed your visit. Additionally your details are run against various Interpol, terrorist watch lists, local police and persona-non-grata lists."
https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-...cers-do-at-border-control-zones-in-an-airport

OP
OP
midliferider
Thanks for your replies.

But as there are no border checks in Europe, they have no way if knowing where I have been in Europe. If at all, it will only list I entered Germany and reenter at Paris. But there is no record that I have been in Austria, Switzerland etc during that trip.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for your replies.

But as there are no border checks in Europe, they have no way if knowing where I have been in Europe. If at all, it will only list I entered Germany and reenter at Paris. But there is no record that I have been in Austria, Switzerland etc during that trip.
And you'll have passed through a security checkpoint, at some stage. Flights or ferries, the operators have the details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just tell them the last five countries you have most recently visited, and type "and others". Tickbox wallahs are usually happy if you put something on the form, even if it isn't complete. If they want to know more, burly figures with tan-coloured macs and turkish cigarettes will come knocking in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
midliferider
I think I will enter details of countries which has a clearly visible stamp on the passport, like Turkey, for example.
Others, I will take a risk.

I really don't understand why they want to make visiting their country so difficult. I understand the security, border control etc. But even booking train tickets are so difficult.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why did I think you are Russian?

People I know who've been have used a visa agency and have got all the necessary info that way

OP
OP
midliferider
Why did I think you are Russian?

People I know who've been have used a visa agency and have got all the necessary info that way

I am certainly not Russian.

Yes, you can use an agent, they will do everything for you but I don't want to give money to an agent.

Yesterday, I managed to book train tickets with the help of a Russian speaking friend from Lithuania. I think I saved about £50. It is just me, never give away a penny when I don't have to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop worrying about it; the bored employee at the Russian embassy visa office is not going to bother checking whether you're telling the truth or not; they just want to be sure you haven't been anywhere they don't like, such as, er..... what countries do the Russians NOT like? America?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am certainly not Russian.

Yes, you can use an agent, they will do everything for you but I don't want to give money to an agent.

Yesterday, I managed to book train tickets with the help of a Russian speaking friend from Lithuania. I think I saved about £50. It is just me, never give away a penny when I don't have to.
Ah ok, I just assumed from your avatar. Have a nice trip

Go and have a look

E-Passport readers public viewing policy

E-passport readers are installed in all Identity and Passport Service (IPS) public counters to enable e-passport holders to view the information contained within the electronic microchip (chip) in their passports. In addition, holders of both version 1 e-passports and the new version 2 epassports will be able to use the passport readers.

Customers wanting to view their new, version 2, e-passport may need some assistance until the existing e-passport readers are updated with information on how to read these type of passports. The provisions of this service are required to meet International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) recommendations. This service is available to casual callers.

It is a stand alone self service facility available to anyone in possession of a United Kingdom (GBR) epassport or United Kingdom new style e-passport (version 2). Members of the public making such requests should be directed to the reader kiosk in the public area of the IPS counter. There will be no charge for this service. Right to view This service is available to anyone who possesses a United Kingdom (GBR) Biometric Passport.

Excellent. I was about to post advice, not noticing this thread was a week old.

I think it's complicated because it was complicated during soviet times, and there are some bribe paying people who are still making money out of how difficult it is to travel there.

I've been the twice, once in 2000 or 2001, and then in 2011. It's a strange, hide bound country, very hard to read. And a real mix of danger and safety. Luckily both times we were staying with Russians, so got an insight into local life we wouldn't have got otherwise.

Top Bottom